Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C60 4 speed truck clutch replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Dec 8, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive been offered to do a clutch replacement in a 68-72 years GMC big grain truck, 60 series, i would do it but im trying to figure out how to keep tranny up under truck and be able to slide it back, floor jack doesnt go that high, if i could find a way to keep the tranny up in there and be able to slide it back far enough to get bellhousing and clutch removed then it would be good.

any ideas ?

thanks

2. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Unless you rent a transmission jack, you are asking to get hurt. They are very heavy & unbalanced. Having a 350lb trans fall 2 feet onto your face is not worth any amount that you could financially profit. Worst case, wrap a chain around the frame on both sides & bolt to a few side cover bolts to keep it from falling once it unbolted if you plan yo use a jack or some makeshift arrangement. An engine hoist through the floor opening is also possible if you have one long enough to reach.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hmm cherry picker trick might work maybe if unbolt and rmeove the tunnel pan, hmm, but these big trucks sit up so high that it might still not work, hmm

this is not looking like something that can happen without at least a tranny cradle attachment for floor jack, hmmm

dunno about 350lb but i know they are right about 180 last time i weighed one, thats sm465

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Not sure of the exact model trans that you have, but I would assume it is substantially heavier than a SM465.

My C60 has a Fuller 5 speed, & it has a weght of 280lb. without the bell housing or clutch release parts. For mine, the 350lb. is pretty close with oil, crossmsmber & bell housing.

Good luck & be careful.