Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA- Bay area Air Quality is paying 500 bucks to crush your good spare parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Nov 19, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Not sure where to post this, but hoping alot of people will see this. I'm here visiting this *^$%#-up state they call California, watching the news, as the newscaster smiles while they describe the crushing of working condition vehicles made prior to '81 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Sounds like a scrappage program to me. I'm just glad I didn't actually see any Blazers or K30s being crushed, but I'm sure it's gonna happen. You can see more details here... ABC news- Bay area
    Maybe this is old news for you guys in Northern Cal, but I found it really disturbing. I can see wanting to get the smog levels down, but crushing vehicles is NOT the answer. You can make an old vehicle run with very low emissions, just by doing some simple maintenance. Rant off

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I don't live in cali or an extremely large city either, but from what have read.... 10% of the cars on the road in most major cities create 90% of the pollution. I agree crushing our classics does nothing good for anyone.

Crushing fart muffler hondas to cut down on 4cyl noise pollution however sounds like a swell idea.

3. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

first ill say that pick-a-part places crush cars daily regardless of it being a classic and whether or not they got there money out of the parts.

2nd, in kalif pre-1974 cars are NOT smog controlled anymore, no more smog checks ..woo hoo

3rd, the oil companies, especially unocal and chevron would advertise and buy old cars then sell them for scrap, the EPA would give them CREDIT POINTS, so next time the refineries FAILED they could use scrapped cars credit points to bring there refinery within EPA guidelines.
    in other words, instead of spending MILLIONS to repair and control smog from the refineries, they scrap some cars (many classics) costing them a few thousand bucks and they can continue to get away with polluting the air.
    -- PRETTY COOL EH? .........PUKE!!!

salvage scrap programs and smog programs only hurt the poor people who cant afford new cars and maintence

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'll give someone 500 dollars ( ) for their complete K30 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It's a bunch of BS...
    /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifIt's a conspiracy I tell ya... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

thump...thump...thump...thump...thump...thump...thump...thump...thump...
    black choppers coming over the ridge. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif