Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA Blazer Fest 2001 Part II - Tierra del Sol

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Jul 25, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, seeing how the latest Blazer Fest up in Hollister went so well and everyone in attendance had such a good time, some of us think that another event is in order!! [​IMG] Judging from initial reaction, it looks like we will try to do an event down in So Cal area so that we can have the Northern Cal folks come down this way and enjoy some desert wheeling! The favorite so far is Tierra del Sol. This post is my attempt to get some discussion and ideas - let's see who's interested and what time would be best for everyone, ok?

Major Points:
    1) Where do we want to go? Down here, we have several nice wheeling areas. My personal favorites are Tierra del Sol, Big Bear Lake area (San Bernardino Mountains) and Los Coyotes Indian Reservation. TDS is great because of the great terrain, huge area to wheel in and it is in the desert, which means we will most likely have warm weather in the day and crisp, clear nights. Big Bear is full of great challenging rock trails and great scenery. The weather in the mountains is always a question mark, so that could be a slight negative. Los Coyotes is a great little area to wheel in and has some of the most challenging obstacles around. However, there are some negatives: First off, it might not even be open - the Indians keep changing their minds about whether or not they like four wheelers (they sure love our money though!), and last I heard they would be closed for good by October. Also, they charge fees for camping, trailers, etc and they just keep going up it seems.

2) When? I suspect that most people's schedules get really tight like mine during the Holidays, so that is why I was thinking maybe sometime in October before the holiday rush starts in November? October would also be still warm weather at TDS if we go there, and no snow at Big Bear or Los Coyotes yet (well, you never know)

3) Another weekend event? Sounds like most people took Friday off for the Hollister trip, is that a good way to go? Was there enough wheeling time?

I'm sure there are many other points to consider, so let me know what you guys think, ok? I think the most important are deciding where and when to go, huh? We have lots of members down here in So Cal, so I am sure that we can all pitch in and make this a great event if we want to!! So start those posts!! [​IMG]

Keith

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I'm in for TDS. Jes let me no!!

ken

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I knew you'd be in Ken!! [​IMG] Now maybe you can help me out with some of the details, I know you have been there a few times! And the other cool thing about the area is that you can ride your ATVs, motorcycles and whatever out there! Ken, since you are the first response, do you have any input on when? Do you like October? Any specific weekend in mind?

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, getting this post back up top - come on guys, I know you are all out there, give me some input! (Ok, maybe everyone else isn't working at a computer all day and has access to Colorado K5 all day long! Well, my boss doesn't know that, but I do! he,he)

Hopefully everyone will come home and see this post!! Give me your comments, suggestions, ideas, etc!

5. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I will come and this time will definitely have my truck! Hopefully the date can be picked asap so i can make arrangements.

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

The only two weekends that I KNOW I can't do this is Oct 26-28 or Nov 2-4 as I have to go to the SEMA show that week in between (yeah, I know, twist my arm!) [​IMG] So, I was thinking early October myself...but let's see what everyone says!

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would be able to make it whenever (as long as the Blazer is running). Where is TDS?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If I have cash for gas I would go... how far is that from Sacramento? [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

9. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

g'day, i'm new to your forum, i'd be interested in the del sol event as i live in San Diego.
    '74 with cutout doors

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Man, If I lived in Cali, I would be all over the Rubicon.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Early Oct. would work for me. I DEFINATELY couldn't make it the last week in Oct. When we drove up from here on Friday morning, we left at 3:30am at got there about 11am. We got some good wheeling in on Fri and wheeled up untill about 4 on Sun. It seemed a pretty good time for wheeling.
    And another point is that at Hollister you can't wheel after dark were at TDS we can untill the sun comes up if you want.
    I know we won't be doing too many hard trails at night but an easy midnight run is always fun.
    Keith if your going to take charge, just let me know if I can help in any way.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

How tough is the Rubicon? What do you need done to your truck in order to do it?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I live in Nevada and I might be able to make it. Can you post a map of where TDS is at.

14. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't think it is possible in a full size Blazer with out doing body damage........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

15. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

A SOCAL run would be easy for us PHX AZ K5's to make...the NORCAL run was just to far to make it feesible for my two K5's and lost time at work as i'm outa vacation till december. Grew up in SOCAL so BigBear would be really cool! Just where is TDS anyways?

AZBLAZER

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

16. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Count me and my dog Molly in..... Doesnt matter when either..... We are easy....

Very dusty and dirty K5 sitting in my driveway!!!

17. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

If I get my Blazer up and running by then and I'm not on the road, you can count me in. Weekend would be best, Friday included. As long as it's still warm and dry, any date is good for me.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

18. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You can count me in. I should have my K5 ready by then. Only need 2 new tires and registration. I'm coming out of Long Beach, CA so this will be Grreeeaatttt. p.s. is there room for my Tent trailer at TDS?

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YYYEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Wheelin?? well OK I guess I like to do that!!??[​IMG]
    I have one conflict during the holidays, I kill ducks!
    Hunting season starts in Oct.! So mabie the last weekend in Sept.?? I don't know yet exacty when the season starts yet but last year it was the second weekend in Oct. so if at all possiable I vote for the end of Sept. of very first weekend in Oct.
    I want to wheel in both TDS and BigB. so I will got to eatherone.
    As for the Rubicon it is basically a trail that is a river bed in some parts slate rock in others and a combination of both with pine trees everywere. High Serria Mtn. wheelin!!! Fn beuitiful up there!! I have never drivin it only been a passenger when I was a teenager, but from what I hear now a days the trail has gotten WAY eaisier and there are go arounds for some of the body bashing tight spots that most all full-size rigs come out with wonds to the sheet metal. I picked up my 3x3 steel tube yesterday to make my rock bashers then all I need are my 35"SSRs and I WILL be ready for the CON! So anyone have the balls to do the Con with me someday????[​IMG] To do the Con it does take a minimum of 3days to go from Loon Lake to Lake Tahoe. Some have donit faster some take there time and stay out there for days. There is no store no type of civilized anything once you go in you are one with nature and rig so you damn well GO PREPPARED!!! The Con is what has inspired me from the very first mod I put on my rig, hell that is why I whated a 4x4!!
    sorry kinda got off topic but had to share, not to metion the pot of coffee I drank this morning!![​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

20. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

According to my cousin who lives in Placerville: a fullsize rig cannot make it through the whole Rubicon. He rolled his shortbed trying to defy that statement. He has been through the whole thing though in a j@@p.

David

[image]http://www.extremeblazer.com/sideapproachL.jpg[/image]