Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA DMV found another way to screw me

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

so i bought this 81 k20 diesel. i took the paperwork in to non-op my new truck. as it turns out this truck hasnt been registered since 1997. the DMV said that i cannot even non-op my truck until i pay the $500 in back fees. i bought the entire truck for $800. it is definetly NOT a $1300 truck. furthermore, the DMV lady ran my VIN. the cab has already been swapped, and the VIN decodes to a 1/2ton 6 cylinder gas motor. so she said that the plates were for a diesel an the VIN was for a gas. in order for me to non-op it, i would have to pay the fees, AND prove that it was a diesel. there is no way that i can prove it is a diesel because it is already converted to gas. i dont just have a 6.2 liter lying around. what do you think i should do? my dad says its just another expensive learning mistake. he thinks i should part it out for whatever i can. any suggestions? thanks.

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

new title and vin /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Uhhhh, didn't you buy this truck to "screw" them into thinking you had a diesel, and were thus exempt from smog checks? Sounds like you only screwed yourself by not doing your homework first. I think your dad may be right.... It was a very expensive lesson to learn. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What are the "back fees" that are owed on it? Did some property taxes not get paid on the truck? If it wasn't registered or driven on public roads, then I don't see how there could be any previous registration fees due. But then, I don't live in The Peoples Republic of California... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Find another real cheap truck that comes with the correct VIN and title, and swap the cab onto the frame/running gear you just bought.

The really dumb thing is (at least in this state) that if you want to make sure there are no VIN/title issues, you can't just walk into the DMV with the VIN and ask. They won't tell you squat. You can't even know if the vehicle is stolen unless you walk in there ready to register it, meaning you've already purchased it.

5. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

thats another reason why i won't move to california, all though illiniois isn't much better. the plate back do is totally retarded.
    if you really want to keep the truck than i would go with the guy that said to get a new/different vin and title.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thats why I like living in Canada.

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can't do anything.... they won't work with you. Been there done that, and it was an expensive lesson. Sorry....

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I don't know if it would be the same for an '81, but my '76 K5 has the VIN stamped on the passenger frame rail in the engine compartment adjacent to the exhaust manifold. If your's has the VIN stamped in the same place, that would prove that it was an original diesel.

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

not sure if this would work, but i would suggest trying again at a different DMV location. Its like any gov situation. Get in there at the end of a day, end of week and go with a younger person if possible. Having had to work out things with the IRS and DMV (both overladen in red tape) in the past, I always tried again until I found the right person. It works. Its amazing what some people will let past, there are good employees and bad ones EVERYWHERE.

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Once they get you in the system, and he's in there now as trying to register, they will do all they can to not let him fix this. Maybe, if he fights them hard enough he can get it fixed so they'll see it's a diesel, but as for the fees, they won't waive them. My guy I bought from, he forged papers and put a stolen reg sticker on my plate. My friend who is a sheriff even tried to help me with DMV to get him to pay the fees or have them waive the fee since it wasn't my fault he lied. They wouldn't. I finally just paid the $425 and that was that... really sucked, but I had no other option because they refused to be fair or listen...

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know if it would be the same for an '81

[/ QUOTE ]

'81 frame VIN is on the drivers side frame rail, pretty much underneath the drivers seat. Faces the underside of the body, so you have to get creative to read it with the body in place.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i love AZ for thier laws. soloution to your problem. move to AZ. your fees will go down to 50 dollars. stay out of PHX or Tucson and you wont have to smog it.
    I HATE CALI!
    Grant

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been looking to completely ditch my frame along with other VIN coded items. In the process of figuring out how I'm going to keep it on the road I've been studying what others with kit cars are doing. I have an article in my tech section explaining the California process of registering a custom vehicle along with other things which apply:

http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/echobit/tipstrickstech-public.cgi?tipstrickstech=6

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

That's what you get for living in a communist country us easterners call California.

Back registration fees... that [naughty word]'s for the birds. Here in Michigan you have to pay a grand total of a late fee of a whopping $15. Us smart people just have the PO not put a date on the title.

Anyway, it looks like the commies are enjoying sticking it in #2.

There are three ways I can see you fixing this problem. The first way is to register it in a neighboring state and then bring it back and register it there. I knew a guy that did this several times in different states so he could get rid of his salvage title and get a real title. He also had relatives in several states. It was wrecked when he was a kid after he sold it and then he bought it back from the junkyard twenty years later.

Another way is to apply for a new VIN/register a custom or prototype vehicle. It'll cost several hundred bucks but it's one way to stick it in the state's pooper in retribution. You'll have to jump through a great many hoops but if you play your cards right you'll actually be paying less to register than a 1972 Pinto. People have to do this all the time for vehicles like sandrails and such.

The third way is illegal. Buy a VIN and title from someone else from another state. Since you probably don't have access to the proper rivets for your year of vehicle there is a chance you can get caught.

15. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'm with Wrath... move to MI and be done with all of it. I've never had to smog anything, and its cheap to register a vehicle.

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I wonder how many Michiganians there are on here. I know three people from MTU that are on here but no one from around my hometown. I'm from Owosso, not twenty-five minutes from Swartz Creek.

While it's cheap to register a vehicle they sure do rape us on insurance. The only place that seems to cost more is Florida.

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

why would youwant to do that?
    Truing to make it a non smog truck?
    Grant

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

most of IL doesnt care what you register, they dont check and they dont care much, it can be a 4 cyl cavalier modified to RWD and V8, it doesnt matter at all, theyll never see or touch the vehicle unless youre in east St Louis or chicago and areas around them. Id reccommend Californians moving to places like here and WI but culture and weather shock would be interesting, horrible rust and not near as many old cool vehicles and especially 4x4s and such exist, most all are beat up rusted out junk and we drive them like that here,.

tradeoffs..

Id love to live in NM or AZ ! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif:D:D:D
    dreams*

good luck, sorry about the DMV problems there, wish i could help- legally

19. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i have a extra 6.2 you can swap in there to prove its diesel. you can borrow it as long as you need. probably wont come down to that but your more than welcome to borrow it if you go that route.

20. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Note To Self, dont move out of Iowa.