Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA people....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Feb 4, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

All you California folks, you will be delighted to hear Gov. Davis told them to stuff the proposed tripling the car registration fee. I absolutely cannot stand the man, I think he's a huge moron, but at least he didn't screw us yet again! Yah!

Oh and those turds who are crying that he did cut it, may a large house fall on you! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Whew! That's a relief.... I was sort of crappin' when I was reading the other thread about that... I got three cars!

Thanks for the update/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

just keep the gas pump open.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Steph

What's it cost to register a vehicle in CA nowadays? Also, what's the deal w/ emissions?

Ben

5. ChevyCaGal

Depends on the year. My truck I think it's around $75 a year. My car it's like $85. So making it triple would have hurt me since right now I make enough to be ok. As for emissions... there's tons of stuff about them... what all you asking about exactly?

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Dont worry Steph he's only doing that to make him self look good. Don't worry though he's gonna screw us one way or another. He would just prefer to screw us from behind by suprize. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. ChevyCaGal

Don't crush my little bubble and go and say that! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Wow - yearly registration! Zoicks! Here in OR I think you get 2 years and it seems they just passed something to make it 4 yrs - I've seen some 2006/7 stickers already.

I was really just curious to know what you have to pay to have your emissions tested and what it takes to pass them. I have an 87 TBI 350 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif that would need to pass emissions tests if I were to live in Portland, hence my interest. Naturally, the fees and possibly the tests might be different, but any tips or heads up would be welcome.

Ben

9. ChevyCaGal

It's about $50 for the smog test, and then $8 for the certificate. To pass here, you must go on a dyno and have the sniffer put in the tail pipe....

Only tip I have is what I do, mix 1 liter of rubbing alcohol 91% to every 15 gallons of gas. A little bit more won't hurt either. It's all that stuff is that is supposed to make you pass you pay $7 for in a small can....

Oh and if you have full time 4 wheel drive they can't dyno you...

10. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Steph

Good stuff, thanks! This is exactly the kinda lowdown I was looking for! I had no idea that they would actually dyno a vehicle to perform tests. I assume that the tests are performed by certified shops - I wonder if you could get some good horsepower/torque measurements while on the dyno. Just thinking out loud on that one...

Rubbing alcohol eh? If the solution that youre putting in is 91% alcohol, I wonder what the other 9% is? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I suppose I should get off my lazy arse and go look and see if I got a bottle here and just answer my own question. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I had no idea there was a market for fuel additives to assist in passing emissions tests. How does the alcohol/additive affect the operation of the truck?

Ben

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hey Ben take some good notes. the word is already out that we will be getting emission tests here later this year :O

-Jeremy

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

My 92 Ford Van passes with no problem. 250K on it now. Just before you go for the test, change the oil and give it a tune up. Changing the oil gets all the gas out of the crank case. This can affect the outcome.

Also, not all counties require the dyno. Riverside county does not. Inyo and Mono counties do not require it either.

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also, not all counties require the dyno.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah and some of the countys only require smog when you first purchase the vehical. Like mine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I havent been to a smog shop in years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Yeah! Gas is slowly goin up agian. $2.04 for the good stuff /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

YA! When I lived in June Lake that is the way it was. But now I'm back in Riverside County and have to do it every two years... Dammit... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

Two other things to check: If your vehicle has these as requirements they fail more cars than any other single items. If you have over 150,000 miles, check your oxygen sensor and catalytic converter for proper efficency. Also FYI, they can't give you HP ratings or any of that stuff because the computer they use for the test is not programmed for that type of use.Also, that alcohol mixture and/or additive will only help a borderline passing vehicle, if something is malfuctioning in the engine it will not help.