Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA SMog exempt laws = 45 year old cars

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TopOff, Feb 26, 2003.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

2. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

So if you have an old chevy truck thta didnt come with smog crap on it ou would have to install it?

SMOGGING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't think they can make you install stuff that never came on the vehicle But any emisssions equipment it came with has to be present "during" inspection this is a stupid law why don't they crack down on big industry and make them stop crushing old vehicles so they can get there bull$h^t "emissions credit" /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

The following is from my other car club lawyer.

Copy it, add your information, and mail it.

.DATE

Senator Dean Florez

State Capitol of California, Room 4090

Sacramento, CA. 95814

Dear Senator Florez:

I am writing to you to respectfully voice my displeasure over a bill that you authored, Senate Bill 708. As you no doubt realize, if passed your bill will repeal the emissions testing exemption that presently exists for cars that are 30 years or older (1974), and subsequently only provide this exemption for vehicles that are 45 years or older (1959).

I am writing to you as a passionate enthusiast of vintage sports cars. I work very hard to indulge in my hobby and I am fortunate enough to own a vehicle that is presently exempt from emissions testing. I speak for both myself and my fellow hobbyists when I say that the vast majority of us meticulously maintain our vehicles. These cars are often in “better than new” condition and, in fact, are typically driven very sparingly. I do not believe that the relatively small number of these vehicles, driven in moderation, pose a meaningful threat to our environment or California’s air quality.

Most of my fellow collectors work very hard to indulge in their passion for vintage cars. Many of us are business owners who contribute mightily to the health of California’s economy. We certainly seem to pay our fair share of state taxes! I am afraid that an unwanted consequence of your bill may be to alienate and frustrate some very important contributors to our state’s economy. I respectfully urge you to reconsider the terms of SB 708. My suggestions include the following:

Rewrite the bill to leave the current 30 year-old requirement intact in it’s current form.
    “Grandfather” existing 30 year-old vehicles that are currently registered in California from any changes arising from your bill if it passes.
    Provide an amnesty period if your bill passes, during which period collectors could apply for exemption from the new terms.
    Create a “collector vehicle” status that enthusiasts could apply for to exempt their vehicles from the terms of your bill if it passes.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my request. I hope you will take decisive steps to revise SB 708.

Respectfully Yours,

YOUR NAME

5. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

it will never pass, they will never make a law that will require cars to go back and require smog again.

af any kind of law passes, it would be a law that would stop the rolling smog law that is in effect now and make it stop at 1974, the year that it is at right now