Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA smog laws?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazen91, Oct 26, 2003.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Is it still 29 years old to make it exempt?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Current DMV says 1974 model year and before = No more smog checks required

3. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it still 29 years old to make it exempt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is 30 years old. Take 29 years from the current year to get exept year.

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

FROM www.dmv.ca.gov:

"How old does a vehicle have to be to qualify for a smog exemption?

Vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older are exempt from the smog certification requirements.

Example: The calendar year is 2003- 29 = 1974 exempt year model

The current calendar year minus 29 equals the year model exempt from smog certification"

5. Only 15 more years until mines exempt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

13 for me woohoo... o wiat ill be out of cali by then. Thank god

7. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys.

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Even though you no longer have to have the vehicle smogged to register it, that doesnt mean you dont have to have the factory equipment in place. If you ran across some real law enforcement prick who didnt like somethig about your truck he can cite you and require your vehicle go to a referee for checkout. This happened to a friends 72 Chevelle. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time when some street racing was going on and and had several vehicle code citations written including possible modified emissions system. He basically had to pull his motor and replace it with a stock one to get it re-certified.

Now, some of the local police depts when they bust street racers will have Smog police with them to inspect the vehicles on-site. If they dont pass, they impound them on the spot. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Chances of them inspecting a Blazer...slim, unless its somking bad.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

another question now... is a non stock engine illegal to smog? say i throw a caddy engine in there and it passes smog.. is that still fine?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

SO long as the engine was made the same model year or later and meets whatever standard that the vehicle does then you're good to go. You'll have to go to a referee to get it smogged so they can certify it.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have to pass visual. You cannot have a motor that was not a factory option during that year. Thats right guys... if you put in a 454 or something it is illegal because it ISNT a factory option. That is what I was saying in a post above.... I have a 400SB that wasn't an option and hope that they won't notice and figure it's a 350. Another thing is that you can not install ANY motor that is older than the vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. THey are Crazy nazis here in california. The only thing you can do if your determined on something besides a 305,350,6.2 and isn't stock like my situation than you can go to the smog referee and try to get a BART sticker. Basically this is an inspection that shows you can pass the sniffer but your not plain stock. If what they see under the hood isn't too extreme and have a legible reason for the non stock swap than you may be allowed to have the Bart sticker on your inner fenderwell. Don't think this is the way out... they don't pass them out like its halloween candy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I hate california. I cant wait to leave.

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actually you are wrong, you can install any engine you want in your vehicle so long as it is the same size or larger and the same year or newer but you will have to visit the referee the first time to get a sticker to verify the swap is OK and also the sticker will tell what is required for smog equipment on this vehicle with that engine so the next time any smog station can smog it.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    The only thing you can do if your determined on something besides a 305,350,6.2 and isn't stock like my situation than you can go to the smog referee and try to get a BART sticker. Basically this is an inspection that shows you can pass the sniffer but your not plain stock. If what they see under the hood isn't too extreme and have a legible reason for the non stock swap than you may be allowed to have the Bart sticker on your inner fenderwell. Don't think this is the way out... they don't pass them out like its halloween candy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did you read ALL of my post. The swap is illegal without the B.A.R.T. sticker.

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, flame me now. I was thinking you were talking about only GM engines, you can install even a Dodge or Ford or whatever other engine you may choose as long as you go through the referee.

16. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

So to clarify, My 88 tbi 454 in my 76 Blazer should be ok? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

18. [ QUOTE ]
    So to clarify, My 88 tbi 454 in my 76 Blazer should be ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends ... if you had it smogged not too long ago then you're not due for a check-up for 2 yrs. By that time your 76 just might be exempt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i got this bit of info somewhere reguarding swapping out my vin # for an older one
    [ QUOTE ]
    Non op the truck, and register a new truck. If you get pulled over, and they pull the tags. It says Chevy p/u. You have a chevy p/u. You'll never have to goto a smog station, because it will be smog exempt. The only way someone would be able to tell is, if they checked the #'s on the frame. But even then, you could say you needed another frame. The likelyhood of you getting caught is slim to none.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone have any input on it?

20. rjfguitar

That is a good idea if your gutsy enough... We have a trucking business and did that with a truck once, tags got ran and almost got the truck impounded. Here in California if you get caught with a vehicle with a different vin than the one that is on the frame than they WILL impound it and you DON'T get it back. Plus you have to do something about the extra truck and more importantly the original vin #.