Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ca. smog question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blaznjon, Mar 26, 2005.

1. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

I was due for a biannual smog inspection on my76k5 this year:mad: .It wasn`t required to smog it to register this year.Just got my sticker:grin: .Does that mean that they consider my blazer as being built in 1975 as a 75 model even though it was built in 76 and titled as 76. Smog inspections in the past ment pulling the 383 and headers ever 2 years,puting the stock 350 with smog pump,manifolds,decelvalve back on.I just swapped the 350 back in thinking I would have to have it inspected.I hope this means this is the last time I have to do this. JB

2. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

From the DMV site:

How old does a vehicle have to be to qualify for a smog exemption?

Vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older are exempt from the smog certification requirements.

Example: The calendar year is 2004- 29 = 1975 exempt year model

The current calendar year minus 29 equals the year model exempt from smog certification.

Vehicles exempt from smog certification are listed above.

Note: Starting April 1, 2005, all 1975 and older vehicles will be exempt from smog certification requirements.

Hmmmm, why the note about all 1975 and older vehicles being exempt as of April 1, 2005? If you use the 30 year rule above, 1975 has been exempt for a year already.

I don't think that site is accurate, nor do I think most clerks working at the DMV know whats going on either. I went to register my 73 and took a while and a lot of talking between the clerks behind the counter before they were convinced a 73 didn't need a smog cert.

I heard the 30 year rule was over turned, if that is true, then the "note" stands true, 75 and older no smog. 76 would need smog.

There is a seperate section that deals with when your rig was built vs. the model year. They go by the model year ... doesn't matter when in 1975 it was built, if it is a 76 model, they call it a 76. Sorry, I can't find it on the DFMV site, but i do remember reading it.

Looks like you'll be swapping engines every 2 years unless the 30 year rule is brought back. I've got my fingers crossed.

Eric M.

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I think the governator made a new law that halted the 30 year rule. So, as of right now, I believe 75 and older are exempt, and it will stay that way until a real republican gets in there and fixes this country we call California.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I was gonna be swapping every two years too until i found out about the non smog counties in CA... i got lucky because i live 40 min away from tehama or siskyou county. All i have to do is get a PO box and change the dmv address to the PO and i don't have to pass smog. If the 30 year rule is still in effect you won't have to worry about it but if the jackass changed the law then you might want to look for one of those counties around where you live.