Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA SMOG QUESTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77GMC15, Jul 31, 2001.

1. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Could i pass smog with headers????? Any chance??????
    Its a 77 pickup. The stock exhaust manifolds have what i think is called o2 sensors coming out of them and i think this is smog equipent. Do i have to have this to pass????
    I bought new flotechs im hopin to put on and still pass.

The road is calling you.......ignore it!

2. tyler t.

tyler t. 1/2 ton status

Your pretty much screwed. I have been going around and around for a year trying to get my truck smogged. There might be someone around who can convince someone to just test it minus the equipment check, but I don't know anyone myself. Good luck.

J:(P it's what's for dinner!

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

No, the tubes that come out of the manifold is the AIR system. Yepper, that's part of the smog stuff and you do need them. Maybe you should check www.carparts.com. You might be able to find it for cheap.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hey... I live close to you... call this place in Sacramento called "The Firehouse" in Del Paso Heights.... They specialize in putting in illegal exhaust and I bet they could help you out by refering you to someone who could "pass" you... I found this out too late... I passed the good old fashioned legal way... wish I knew about them a month ago...

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

5. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Thank you, i would keep the stock exhaust manifolds but they poured out rust when i disconnected them and i thought that might be a bad sign.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ha ha... yours too huh? My exhaust was awful... my muffler fell off when driving it was so bad... the place that welded into the pipe snapped on a speed bump and a Honda got it... oh well! Least I got a nice set up now... [​IMG]

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you can but make sure they are 50 state legal. they will have a metal tag on them saying they are and they will have a number on that tag to put in the computer for smog. i ran into the same problem to get my sticker for base, but i just paid a few people the right ammount and had my way.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

8. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Yeah, on one side of my exhaust the pipe is broken off. The two sides of my truck look like different trucks. On the drivers side there isnt any rust and not one dent. The other side though has a big dent in the door couple little ones, rust in the paint and rust all the way through on the fender around the wheel well. Bought it not too long ago for 2000 with a 1/2 ton dana 44 in the bed with spicer hubs and i havent opened it up yet. So yeah i still like it though its my ugly ass pice of crap.

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I bought Edelrbrock headers and they came with both the O2 sensor and the A.I.R. injectors. They have a metal tag on them and paperwork for you to keep in the glove box for when you need to smog them. They are 50 state legal and all the smog stuff is still connected.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?

10. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

How much?

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

It was between $300 - $350. It was a breeze to install and added mucho power.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?

12. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

They are out there. Look for 50 state legal headers. They need a tube welded onto one of the pipes so that you can connect a hot air hose into the air intake, (why you would WANT to pump hot air in there is beyond me) and they need a connection for the smog pump which pumps clean air into the exhaust for the catalytic converter to use.

That's because I'm the devil.

13. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Alright sounds good, if anyone wants to start donating money to my header fund just pm or email me.