Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA smog sucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tunedportk5, Jun 22, 2005.

1. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

third time taking it to the smog refree it finally passed and I got the BAR sticker in the door jam for my next smog check :eek: so it turned out to be a broken coolant temp sensor the whole time telling the computer the engine was always cold. It's going to be nice having good tags, been driving with expired tags since january.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

So....

In your opinion, would it have been easyer to just start with a 75 or under? Thats been my plan , after seeing what you went through,,, it sounds like a PITA man. Good to hear it passes though!!! Congrats!!! :)

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Shoulda hooked her up to a scanner -- TPI would have told ya right away :D

4. tunedportk5

YEA if I do this again It will be a 75 or older. smog limits are just way to strict and the blazer runs hella good and it just barley passed the co reading on the 15 mph test by 1 point. If it failed again I was ready to sell it or put the carb back on.

5. tunedportk5

I did hook it up to a scanner and thats how I discovered the problem with the coolant temp sensor.

I need to get one of those scanners it would be a nice piece to add to my collecton of tools.

6. tunedportk5

The refree station even hooked it up to the scanner and he never even told me the coolant temp sensor was broke. If I knew that it would of passed the second time :mad:

7. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I'm sure glad I don't have to go thru what you guys in California do.. I bet there is somebody all most everyday that I see on a couple diferent boards that says they are having trouble with getting their truck to pass..

Where I live you only have to pass inspection one time for the entire time you own the vehicle.. Unless you get pulled over by the police for having too much lift or something like that... Then the police give you a repair order and you have to comply with their standards and have that re-inspected.. You can even turn your tags back in for 5 years and as long as you still own the vehicle you can go to the DMV and get tags without having to re-inspect :D

Another good thing is if you buy a vehicle from family you just have to get new tags and insurance no inspection at all.. I bought my truck from my brother-inlaw and just had my mother-inlaw register it in her name for a day and then she could give it to my wife and I could get tags with no inspection at all :waytogo:

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now that is just plain stupid!

And there is a very cheap way for you to have your own scanner. Just get an ALDL -> Computer cable, and use a laptop with one of the many free programs out there. It'll tell you all of that kind of information. You'll see what the computer sees. You can also do some datalogging with it, and figure out a good tune based on that information, and have someone burn it for you. A TPI should be able to ace emmissions with flying colors, esspecially as compared to a carb!

9. google

google 1/2 ton status

In the little dirt ball town of Casa Grande, AZ (that's Big House for you non spanish speakers) you don't have to do anything but walk into the DMV and give them some money. Cost me $35 for two year tags. I have no cats and the holes take up more space than metal on my rusty exhaust. My seat belts don't work (except for the one with a baby seat attached to it) and none of my guages work.

Before any of you start bashing me, i'm in the process of fixing most of that. Just got the truck.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

He doesnt have to.

Glad you got it to pass, now keep it running good so it will always pass.

11. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Thats the reason I used a 73 frame. Cali smog sucks @$$!!!!!!!

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You can use any year frame, its the VIN on the body they care about. But thats what you meant right! :)

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ha ha ha,,better hope so!!! :D

14. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I have seen a couple threads with people trying to decide if it's the frame or the cab that is used for registration :haha: . I thought it was kinda obvious because the VIN is in the window area of the cab..

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah man, ive been following tunedportk5s build since the beggining, what was it like a YEAR ago ??? After seeing all this i dont think im going to do it, too much work man. I was trhinking about it, but, scrapping my k5 and starting over after watching it unfold,,,,

It CAN be done though,,, as shown above, he has shown some serious determination on the whole changeover. Good deal,

Now,.,,, HOWS THE POWER??? :D

16. tunedportk5

The throttle response and the extra power were a blast at Pismo on memorial weekend but there were still a couple of trucks with out paddles beating to the top competition, so now I’m going to be on the quest for a little more power. Maybe start with headers. And some NOS would help at Pismo.

17. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Man I am glad I live in Iowa. I think all the emmisons stuff ran away from my blazer. :D

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Best go find it. Sooner or later the Smog Nazis will be coming to your state. Oregon is about to fall next.......