Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA Smog update from DMV site

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Mar 31, 2005.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

just posted in the Smog section of the CA DMV site. It's a little clearer than before.

"Beginning April 1, 2005, the 30-year rolling exemption will be repealed. Instead, vehicles 1975 model-year and older will be exempt. Therefore, 1976 model-year and newer vehicles will continue to be subject to biennial inspection indefinitely."

Don't you just love the "indefinitely" part!?

Eric M.

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have a feeling theres a long line of '76 owners ready to kick arnold shcwarzenneger in the balls. :haha:

3. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

This is a Sad, Sad day for my 1981. I had a lot of hopes and dreams one day of having a big block, true dual exhaust, no cat.......but my dreams have died. I was waiting very patiently.....now....it was all for nothing.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

you still have those options but its gonna be a PITA to make it work. You can get a PO box in a non cali county or different state or do a swap every two years.

If you get a PO box in a different state you also have to get it registered there and get a license for that state.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I thought there were some counties in CA that didn't require smog.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

there are... i typed it wrong

should have read

my bad.

7. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

You are right!! I do not know the specific laws nor counties, but some counties have "less-strict" smog laws. I think they are only up in northern California. So I could get a PO Box up there.

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

yup,

I know siskyou and tehama are non smog meaning you don't have to pass smog inspection.

If it wasn't for this site i would have ended up buying a set of edelbrock AIR headers for 400 bucks and an exhaust to fit them for another 400.

instead its a 35 dollar PO box and a 40 min drive every month to get my mail.

9. spearchucker

Hmmm, I don't see Humboldt on the list. :thinking:

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I guess i was wrong about tehama... looks like its siskyou for me. humboldt would be another option but unless im going there to pick up something else :pimp: :smirk: its too far away. siskyou it is then.

11. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

back in 1991 my friend had a big block in a s10 and he went to the "smog referee" and payed a flat fee to be smog exempt. I dont know if that can still be done or not, but it never hurts to ask them about your options

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

won't happen now a days... the penalties outway the money by a Shi$tload... they pay a huge fine and lose their smog license either for good or a long time. They won't risk it.

In fact Cali started to bring in fake smoggers that won't pass and bribe the referee's to pass it and thats how the crackdown started... they do the same with vehicles that shouldn't be able to pass the visual inspection.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I love how the techs are just supposed to know this, telepethay I guess. They change the rules so much its hard for us to know what legal and isnt.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thats right, and I love it. Here's how it works. When You first buy a vehicle here that requiers smog You get a smog test to have the vehicle changed over into Your name, and thats it. Now if You already have a vehicle with current registration and You move here then You simple pay Your registration fees and do not have to mess with a smog test.
    My Blazer was last smogged in 90' when I bought it and My 96 C-1500 was smogged in 2000 when I bought it.
    On the hand I have a 76:rolleyes: C-20 That I still need to have smogged to get it changed into My name. Once that is done then it will get built to be My tow rig.

Biennial smog inspections are for all You people living down south.
    :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

15. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

The smog referee was the legal way for hot rods and we where told about it by the DMV . They dont care about the air ,they want the money

16. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

good luck... its not the 90's anymore.

I was optimistic thinking i could get a guy to do it but I mostly got cussed at and told to leave.

17. spearchucker

Yeah, rub it in why don't you! :smirk:
    So if I got a PO box in Redway I wouldn't have any smog and I'd have cheaper insurance ... I love it when a plan comes together.

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

That would be me. I had two 74's and opted for a 76 planning on dropping in a 383 stroker next year. Not anymore........... :mad:

19. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

ohhh am I glad my blazer project is a 73', and my DD is a 70' chevy truck. that repeal just blows big time.

20. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

The referee is the guy who works for the state. He is who you see if you can't pass the test at your local smog shop. What 4trolls is saying is you could pay a fee to the state to drive a poluting vehicle instead of install all the smog. (I think that's what he means!) I never heard of that, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's all about the money. But you're right, that was then, I doubt that's an option anymore.

Eric M.