Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CA Smog

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoReGrEtS, Sep 29, 2006.

1. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

Well I have had my blazer for about a year now and I have yet to get it put in to my name. In CA you have to smog be for you can change the ownership.
    Now I got the thing for free but it was all messed up. I have been working on it but I don't think I can get this motor to pass smog.

{1st}Now I have a 88 suburban with a tbi 454 can I swap the motor and still be smog legal? I thought it was any motor as long as it is newer then the truck(mines an 81). I was looking on the dmv web site and didn't find any thing.

{2nd}Would it bolt right in? and how bad ass is a blazer with a 454?:D

Thanks Shawn

2. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

or would it be better to get a crate motor?

3. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

NoRegrets,........ we could use some more information,.... like what is your engine missing that is keeping it from passing smog ? Also, why do you think your engine wont pass ?

If you have to change engines, go to a GOOD smog station, tell them what your issues are, and ask them to tell you what the truck has to have in order to pass. They can also direct you to the smog referee in your area. He will be your go-to guy if you end up swapping engines. Keep him on your good side.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

6. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take it in and have them run a pre-test. Thats what we did with mine and that was good because it didn't pass at first. Spit out way to many HC's but then we knew what to fix. Otherwise you are shooting in the dark wondering about whether it will pass or not.

-Avery

8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

when I got this thing it had a bad cam and lifters, well my buddy had a cam and manifold(non egr) swap that stuff in to get it running good. well it still does not run good (smokes), so it needs a new motor or rebuild the one I have(a 305). I think I'm going to save up for a crate motor, I think thats my be my best option.

would a 350 in an '81 blazer have the same smog stuff as my 305? if I switched from a 305 to a 350 would I have to go through all the ref BS or can I get by with out saying any thing?

Thanks Shawn

9. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Talk to K5MONSTERCHEV he knows the Cali smog since he used to be a test station guy.

-Avery

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you tell the DMV it's a 350 when it came with a 305 then you're opening yourself up for more paper work.

Big blocks only came in HD rated trucks and K5's are LD rated. You can put LD engines in HD trucks since the LD emissions requirements are lower. You can not put HD engines in LD vehicles b/c of the HD emissions.

FWIW, you can get title only registration. That way it's in your name, just not legal to drive on the street. A lot of the Vintage Race cars that I've worked on
    are title only registration. Makes it a lot easier to prove ownership should it ever get stolen.