Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

#&^%#$ CA SMOG!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Chaz88K5, May 7, 2002.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Well this morn i decided i would go down and take care of my smog check and get it out of the way...well i failed badly...so now i gota fix a bunch of junk and try it again...i hate the smog crap...i am almost tempted to find a desile blazer and do a vin swap...it would sure make life easier...anyone have a 88 blazer with a desile they would like to off load? i could sure use it /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It is in the works that they are going to start smoging deseals(sp) also..The state is catching on to what everybody wants to do..My brother is a smog tech...Dan

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

welp scratch that plan then....well how about a vin from a 73-74

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Really...damn that sucks. Hey Chaz what did you fail? Inspection?

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i failed visual..because the heat riser was gone...and the Hydro Carbons were way way way off...

6. gokartergo

LOL...Don't you have one of those at your house....

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have a 72...but the vin plate is not in the same place as my 88...belive me...i would have done that a long time ago...on the 72 the vin is attached to the door jam
    chaz

8. gokartergo

That is were it is at on my 77...

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

aww damn....well maybe i should just sell the body off my 88 and turn it into a tube buggy then steel the vin plate from the 72 and be done with it..haha

10. gokartergo

The funny thing about 77 is. It doesn't need a cat. or a smog pump... Because of the wieght laws back then..All it has to do is pass the sniffer...Dan

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

thats just not fair! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif...shoot maybe i should just strip my 88 of all the good stuff...basicly everything but the body..and sell just the body...then i could build up my 72...or...ah i dont know...just talkin out my ass again...i dont think i could part with my 88...i gets too many looks goin down the road..thats as long as there is nothin else empressive around /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. gokartergo

77 is the same body style..Just diffrent front ends..Gotcha thinkin thou.LOL..Dan

13. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

But think how many looks you can have with a full convertable ??????????? HHHHHHUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMM...I do know where there is a 73-75 if interested...mike

14. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

CA smog is the reason I cant drive my 75 its been in the back yard for 5 years. I took it to test it and the guy couldnt belive that it tested so clean but it didnt pass visual and failed the 25mph test on the dyno... because of the 40" tires. WTF
    I thought the whole reason for the smog was to keep the air clean and if any vehical test clean what does it matter what kind of parts you have? if it blows clean its clean.!!!
    but thats just my rant.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I had to take the POS Accord in today to smog. Had to wait an hour because the shop was backed up because the state has shut down everyone that is unable to comply with SmogCheck 2. What a crock.

I also asked the tech about tire size, he said they could go up to 37" tires, and after that the vehicle becomes unstable that it is unsafe.

Funny thing is, my '87 never has had a problem passing and I go to an honest shop.

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm pretty lucky too as far as smog goes. Mine's a '76...Still has to be smoged, but not to CA smog standards. Its a federal vehicle. No cats, no egr, no smog pump. Nothin. Last time I had it smoged, all he really did was the sniffer and the gas cap. lol, I was lookin throught the Haynes manual,and the timing spec's for a '76 CA smog truck with a 350- 2 BTDC, for a heavy duty vehicle- 6 BTDC, Federal- 8 BTDC. BIG difference I'd say.

17. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

xplosuv-
    Why dont you just put some smaller tires on for the test.
    Chaz-
    Your truck wasn't a gross polluter was it?

18. Priest

Priest Registered Member

Just do like I did with the girlfriends car. Stop two blocks from the smog station and retard the heck out of the timing. Keep in mind that you still have to keep it in spec but back it off as much as you can. It will be a pig and have no power but it should pass the pipe. My girlfriends car was right at the limit the first time (failed for another reason) with 155PPM and the max was 157PPM so I backed the timing way down and poof 21PPM.

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

What is this Smog Check 2? I live in the northeren part of the state and we only have to smog when we first buy. So I haven't smoged my blazer since 90'. It sure is nice to see an unclutterd engine and here those headers and dual exhaust rumble. Can't wait to bo the big block swap, soon.

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Smog Check 2 is the dyno test checking for Nitrous Oxide pollutants. Don't know how much of the state has it, but it's here now in the Central Valley.