Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cab and chassie 14ff ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Jan 22, 2003.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Does anybody know how wide they are wms to wms? Also does anybody know the length of the shafts in one compared to a single wheel version? Can I swap the brakes off a single wheel axle onto one? I figure I'de have to use backing plates and all but just making sure it will work.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I seem to recall them being 64" WMS to WMS. Brakes should swap over without a problem, but I'm not sure on the shaft lengths. </font color>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I've heard 63"...somewhere around there.
    The axle shafts are the same as a SRW axle...the only difference is the hubs. I'm not sure on the brakes.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

? what you trying to do ? what are you up to ?

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I'm tring to get information together for my GM/Jeep project!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive heard that cab and chassis axles are longer than pickup bed model ones, i dont see why this would be but does anyone know for sure ? i know that 12 bolts and 10 bolts are all same no matter the model of truck anyways.,

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

As for the first question cab and chassis have the same width axles as a regular pickup of the same weight rating, the box van or the gruman trucks had wider axles for stability and size of box.
    As for the 10 bolts all being equal it's not true, the van 10 bolts or 12 bolts or even 14 bolts for that matter were wider than the pickup axles, also for stability and inside width between wheel wells.
    Now after rereading my post, a correction, the cab and chassis had 2 widths for regular utility trucks or for fabrication of the box vans which are wider. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know van 10 and 12 bolt axles are wider thna others, i just meant pickup VS. cab chassis models,

not seeing how coul dbe two widths for utility box and cab and chasiss when both are the same cab chasiss model, thats what a utility box model is is a cab chassis model

thanks

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Icemann44 is correct . The Cab Chassis trucks were offered in two different axle width's. It depended on what the use of the truck and which utility bed or box was being used.
    I don't remember the widths but one was VERY narrow and the other was like a regular Dually axle width.

Tom

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The wide (73") 14FF didn't start until 92 or so. Before then, they were Dana 70's or Rockwells. About the same time, the Dana 80 was introduced, and I know it came in both widths as well.

A cab&amp;chassis has the narrower (63"?) width unless it has RPO code "GTY" (Wide-track option) bringing it up to 73" - the same width as a DRW pickup.