Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cab changes/Title, Tags

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fabjunkie, Nov 1, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I know there is quite a few guys on here that have changed cabs. My question is, what do you do for a title? Seems it would be easy to find a cab with no title, but then you can't register it. Does the registration stay with the frame or the cab? This would apply to a hybrid also, do you go off of the frame or the cab? Was just curious.

2. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

you have to go with the vin number off of the cab. In order to swap cabs and be able to insure it and be legal, it has to have a title to the cab your swapping to, because according to all legal documentation through insurance or whatever else, you have a different truck. Even if it doesnt come with a title, you can send in an application to the capital of your state and apply to get a rebuild title to make it insurable. Atleast thats the way it is here in Texas...my cc came with a clean title though so I dont have to worry about that...

Remington

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A lot of it is state specific. When I built my truck, the cab was what the state would have used for titling (as mentioned, that's where the full VIN is/was) HOWEVER all the major components also had to have a bill of sale showing the donor vehicle VIN's as well. Didn't get a real title because there was some question on the frame VIN, even though it wasn't stolen. (the donor/frame VIN info on the bill of sale was incorrect)

Again, it all depends on your state. Whatever agency does your vehicle inspections should be able to tell you what you'll need to do to keep everything legal. As mentioned, barring problems such as I had (probably also state specific) just because you buy something without a title doesn't mean you can't get one. In Washington however, you won't know if it's stolen until you buy the thing. :(

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

this is why you must become friends with your local inspection mechanic and the person behind the counter at your DMV. Every state is different.