Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cab & Chasis Frames

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Jun 23, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I found a great deal on a 1-ton cab & chasis, and I was wondering if there is any reason why that frame would be a bad idea for building a truck off of.

My plan is to swap a crewcab onto the frame and then all of the mechanicals off the K5. The cab on it now is a regular cab.

So is there any reason it would be a bad idea?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If it's a single cab now, you'll hafta do some fab work to mount the crewcab cab.

Also, *some* C&C chassis, and I am vague on this, are weird in the back, so a regular pickup bed would not likely drop onto it and bolt down.

OTOH, if you're doing a sixpack on a regular frame, you're prolly doing some kind of custom bed, flatbed, or no bed, so that's all right then.

Other than that, I can't think of anything to stop you. Mix equal parts beer, welder, and scrap iron, and you're golden.

-- A

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, definitely custom bed. I'm going to cut the frame right at the rear most rear spring hanger.

It looks like it will work nice because the frame rails are straight all the way back.

Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]