Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cab Clearance Lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Apr 27, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey y'all, Im wanting to put cab clearance lights on my truck. (yeah I know one more place to leak, but I like the looks) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is the stock type lens that was on these trucks? I dont like all the cheap aftermarket ones, I like these and was jsut curious if these were the stockers. Also, what all would need for the swap. I know 5 lenses, 5 baseplates for lenses, a wiring harness, and 5 bulbs. What else? Also, could someone tell me the spacing measurements for the stock lights w/ 3 in teh middle and 2 off to the side? Thanks.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, those are the factory style lens covers. You are going to have to drill holes in your roof to install the clearance lights. It is going to be a lot of work to install clearance lights...drilling the holes, removing the headliner, routing the wiring. are you going to install a separate switch for the clearance lights, or are you going to connect them into the head light switch like the factory does?

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

probably connect into the factory headlight switch, is it a diff switch for the ones w/ cab lights?

4. 1-ton

I do not know, but I suspect the switch is no different.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Thanks, I didnt think it would be, but knowing the general, its a heavier duty switch for the extra current, or some crap like that.

6. 1-ton

If you give me some time I can go out and measure the placement of the clearance lights on my truck. I have a 1991 old body style 1-Ton, which came with factory clearance lights.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Checked your profile...noticed you have a 1991 V3500....WE WANT PICS! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 1-ton

I do not own a digital camera currently, but I was thinking of getting one of those disposable digital cameras, and taking some pictures of it that way I can post the pics.

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Make sure you post some up when you get them! Sounds like a sweet truck.. I'd love to see pics of it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I thought the factory lights were longer from front to rear. not round based like those.

11. 1-ton

This is an approximate measurement on my truck

Left and Right outside marker light measurements.

From door rain rail: 5 inches

From windshield molding: 5 inches

Center three marker light measurements.

From both Left and Right outside marker lights to center marker lights: 17 1/2 inches

Center marker lights: 7 inch (between all three of them)

From windshield molding: 5 inches

The clearance lights on my 1991 truck are the rounded kind, but I remember I had an old 1968 a long time ago that came factory with the longer, thinner type. Will get pics up soon as possible.

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

hey man, thanks a ton, I always liked the stock placements, so I wanted to get that spacing on mine. Thanks again.

13. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

LMC used to sell all the pieces and parts in their 1973-87 Chevrolet/GMC Truck catalog, which is how I bought mine. I looked at the 2004 spring catalog and now they sell a kit but all they show is the later, rectagular lenses and the current three lense set-up.

Thanks for the measurements. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh i saw those later model light kits, almsot as cheap as the stock wiring harness grrrr. If only they sold em with the stock lights.