Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cab Floor Pans

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by B75k5, Oct 14, 2001.

1. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Will be replacing rocker panels on 75 K5 soon and don't know what I will find under carpet. If I need to patch floor pans, do I use aftermarket floor pans or ? Any help will be appreciated, local body shop will be doing rocker replacement.

2. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Even though my rockers were almost gone when I bought my '84, the floor was in good condition from the front seat forward. The area that really takes a beaten is the area of the footwells in the rear passenger area. As far as I know, no replacement panels are available. I fabbed my own out of 16ga. Good luck on your project!

PS If I ever did it again, I'd probably wouldn't use replacement rockers and just fab up some 3"x3" "Rockslider" type rockers!

Ron

'84 K5......Tree Fitty, SM465/Np205, D44/14BFF, Pro-jection! .....and of coarse no other color than Odie!

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Have fun trying to find a floor under the seatrs. I had to send mine to the shop to get that part done. [​IMG]

I'm not late im on Central Standard Time

4. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like what I plan to do to my 90 this winter. I have not found any floors for that area, I have come to the realization that I will need to fab them up.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith
    Manchester, MI

5. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I'm in process on that job right now. I have some 1/8" diamond plate and find that to be a very solid floor. It will definitely be heavier than required, but I don't mind. Be prepared to repair the floor supports as well.

I couldn't have planned this job if I'd tried so I just dove in and started ripping out everything that was rotted out, then I wire-wheeled the remainder. Fabbed up supports for the floor, replaced parts of rotted posts, and finally floorpans. I think that you will find that any of the supports can be repaired with c-channel and angle iron. Nothing heavier than 1/8" stock is required. Get lots of saw blades and grinding wheels!

Go carefully when welding back in and don't forget to tack on the belt and seat mounting harware. I ALMOST did.

I am really liking the way the diamond plate is looking as I put it back in, very Bada$$. The only problem is that stock carpet is not going to conform to the new contours, and I'll lose teh heat and noise retarding properties in that regard. I'll likely go the Herculiner route, but still intend to insulate the tranny hump and fab something up to cover the insulation since that is likely to get hot in the summer.

John

6. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

this winter i'm donig the same the rockers, rear foot wells, front floor......i've already got the front floor pans and the rockers, i just need to fad up some rear foot wells

high

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well I would have to say build your own. The front patches upfront help speed things up but for the back you're on your own. Another thing to look for is the subframe, most of the time they're pretty weak. I replaced my subframe with 1/8" square tubing (make Tool Man grunt). Ain't nothing to it really, I'd run it all the way to the body mounts on the frame. Those caged nuts on the factory body mounts are good for nothing. The bolts break, and they jump the cages. You'll have to have the bolt heads be on top the floor metal but it'll make even tougher. Yes I know I just made no sense but I hope you get what I'm talking about.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hehehe floor patch pannels....that's funny [​IMG]. Dealer lists them. $450 a side includes the rocker boxes. They didn't know if they could get them. The front half you can use a trucks. You can also use the trucks front cab suport. If your rockers are gone your cab suports are probably gone also. GM installed the rust at the factory. Not even paint in the rockers and the rocker boxes.
    Now if you want to see how bad it can be click the link in my sig. Look in the first album (with the totaled Jeep).
    If you can weld that will cost you about $100 a side.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper