Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cab rust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by msb350, Mar 31, 2005.

1. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Hi Guys. My 89 has some heavy surface rust on the top of the cab. Since I will not have my truck repainted till late this summer I was wondering what type of protectant paint I can temporarily put down unitl then.Any recommended products? Just want to get it protected before it gets worse.Thanks
    Matt

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

anything better than nothing!

You should put something on for protection against further damage--and soon!--you could use a rust converter like "Extend"by Duro,a company owned by Permatex,or "Rust Reformer" by Rustoleum,you can get both at Home Depot or most department stores-"Rust -Mort" by SEM works good too,but only body shop supply stores carry it..

-I use Rustoleum paint for temporary protection until I can do the job right by sandblasting,and primer,paint etc.Actually,it holds up pretty well--I use the brush on stuff,it goes far and the thicker application prevents re-rusting longer--the spray bombs work ok too,but dont seem to have as much rust resistance in my experience--and the liquid used to be better before the new formula "low volatility" stuff came about--if you find some old stock in a store,its better stuff than the new variety..Regular automotive enamel can be used too,but its not very brush friendly--spray gun works best...

Or you can use POR-15,a rust converting paint--but its pricey at 22 bucks a pint,and rather difficult to find locally--it also fades to flat black if exposed to sunlight--and other paints dont adhere well to it unless applied when its still tacky..nothing beats it for durability though,but I prefer to use it under the vehicle on the frame and underbody panels more than on the outside...

Anything is better than nothing!--on my van,I tired of having to paint the roof every 1-2 years,so I tried Mobile Home Aluminum Roof Coating,its been on 8 years now,and its finally needing to be done again!--its not pretty,but its kept the rust away a lot longer than any paint I used.(its cooler inside in the summer too!)..I'd rather have an ugly truck than one with rust holes,and have to "bondo" it back together.. :frown1: