Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cab support ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Sep 22, 2006.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Has or does any have pics or ideas of other ways to support the cab of your truck. The mounts for mine are rotted out and was thinking of useingg some tube to make new supports instead of ordering the factory style ones. Thanks Denny

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

home brew..

I used a few things other than those cheesy tin tiwan cab mount repair things..I felt they were too wimpy to support a cab with a body lift..

One of my plow trucks I had ,I used the base from a bumper jack between the floor and where the mount bolt and bushings sit on the frame bracket..it spread the load over a wider area,was easy to weld in,and were plenty thick and beefy..

I got a pair at the junkyard,out of older GM cars that used bumper jacks..they almost looked factory,and the bushings fit perfect..didn't even have to drill a hole for the cab mount bolt,it simply passes thru where the jack used to slide in the base!..

I've also used galvanized "U" channel tubing about 1/8" thick I got from an old junked boat trailer..it fit perfect over the remains of the rotted cab support,and it worked well...I've seen guys use rectangular tubing too...:crazy: