Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cab swap on pickup?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, May 18, 2002.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i just bought a 1970 chevy 4x4 pickup w/ a step side bed. i have another truck just like it but a 2 wheel drive. the cab on the 4x4 is rested out completely. i was thinking about putting the 2 wheel drive cab on the 4x4 chassis. i know that it is possible, but what all is in that project? will i need anything special? can i do it in 1 day with 2 friends>? please help, i have never done anything like this before. thanx.

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i did this once before but it was on a 74 2wd pu that i had rolled, so this may or may not help, the rolled was auto and a/c, the replacement cab was 4 sp and no a/c, so i had to cut part of the floor and firewall out and pop rivet it back together, i stripped the rolled cab and the good cab, and then painted the good, and used a winch truck to pick the cabs up and exchange them, then it was a matter of putting in the wiring, dash parts, ect and hooking the a/c to the firewall, the humps are different between 4wd and 2wd (2wd auto is low and 4 sp is high, all 4wd humps are high, just have different number of holes in them), as for the time, it took me all summer but i was only 16 and working on a farm 12 hours a day, and my parents said "fix it or walk", now i tell them it is their fault that i haven't outgrown this fascination with chevy's especially 4x4's LOL

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Howdy I am from Hollister also..Do you know JJ at Hollister Auto parts?? He is doing the same thing right now...Dan

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i don't know about 1970, but on 73- 87 2wheel cab's with auto's you can put a 2" body lift in to clear the transfor case. this work's as i have a 2 wheel cab on my 4x4. but like i said i don't know about 70's. just a thought.

dave

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I replaced my rusted out cab (I live in Ohio) on my 1980 truck with a 1974 cab from the south. My 1980 truck was a 4wd four speed, the '74 was a 2wd auto. In the 2wd cab, I had to transfer the clutch and brake pedals, and I cut out the center of the floor to match the 4wd cab. I unbolted the center cab floor (the tranny/transfer case access panel) and used sheet metal screws to screw it in the 2wd cab. It turned out real nice, and looks factory. The only thing I would have done different, if I knew how to weld, would be to weld nuts under the floor so the access panel could've been bolted on, instead of sheet metal screws. I've been running this truck this way for 6 or 7 years now, and it's still very solid. The best thing for me was the fact that it is now titled as a 1974, not 1980, so all the bulls*** emissions laws don't apply. Looking forward to the atmosphere robbing, tire shredding, gas guzzling, noise polluting, 454bbc swap this summer! Good luck on your cab swap, but its gonna take longer than one day and two friends!