Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cab swap question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chillbilly, Mar 26, 2002.

1. chillbilly

chillbilly Registered Member

Im wondering what difficulties I might come accross putting a 90 tub on a 76 frame. Im also wondering where to locate the vin #'s.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're not putting a '90 tub on a '76 frame, I don't think. They changed the frame drastically.

And as for where to locate the VIN numbers, nobody knows I don't think, except criminal investigators, but my friend has swapped a 2wd cab onto a 4wd truck and left the title as a 2wd and the cops don't even care. Just keep the title from the tub and you're fine.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your subject says "CAB" but your message says "TUB". I would assume by your subject you are talking about a truck and not a blazer or suburban, but your question says "TUB" which would mean blazer. If you do mean blazer then you will not get the 90 blazer tub on the 76 frame without major trouble due to the floor just behind the front seats being different.

4. 4X4HIGH

If you were to fill out your profile it would make it easier for us to help you faster since we could simply just look and see what you have and where you're from.

5. chillbilly

I have a 76 blazer 4wd and I have a 90 tub in mint condition

6. 4X4HIGH

The 90 blazer tub will not fit on the 76 frame. The frames and tubs are different between those years.

7. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 79-ish body on a 76' frame. It was like that when I got it, but I might be able to get a few pictures of the body mounts. It was accomplished partially by installing a 3 inch body lift to solve clearance issues with the floor. The other part is adapting the newer style body mounting points to the 76 and older frames. (I need to take pictures to explain how it was done on mine.) IT CAN BE DONE!!!! Just not easily. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. chillbilly

thanks for the info man...I was just checking out the body mounts and the floor change and figured I would just have to add two more inches to my 1 inch body lift...It doesn't look to me to be too hard to change the body mount especially when I own a welder and the cab is off. All the other mounts are exactly the same.

9. chillbilly

That would be great if you could email any pics or measurements to make my task simpler!

10. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I get the pictures onto my computer I'll send them to you. You can let me know what address to send them to through my e-mail, which is listed in my profile.

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

doesnt one of the pairs of cab/tub mounts just go from the inside of the frame to the outside (or vice versa) .. if so that would be a pretty simple mod, you could do it without even welding it seeing as how its just riveted on to begin with.. drill the holes out to 1/2" and use 1/2" bolts and it would be perfect.

just a thought

mike