Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cab trucks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaysonsk5, Jan 13, 2006.

1. jaysonsk5

jaysonsk5 1/2 ton status

thinking about doing this to my k5 can anyone give me some tips and picks, or resons why not to do it? thanx:D

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

IIRC, backyardbuilt and Frizzlefry here on CK5 have cabs on Blazer frames with mini beds on the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jaysonsk5

jaysonsk5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the pics, ben.
    i'm wanting to get some more info on the swap
    and how it works from someone that has done it:D

4. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I talked to frizz breifly at blazer fest this past year. He said he drove his balzer into his shop one day and out the next day with a cab on it. Sounds easy.

Im planning on dropping a 70 cab on my 79 blazer frame. I figure ill have to make some new body mounts but other then that dont see too many challanges.

5. ftcjimmy

ftcjimmy Registered Member

You need a cross-member for the rear cab mounts as the blazer doesnt have one. The cross member needs to be placed ontop frame due to a dip or something in the fram that cab trucks dont have. Ive been looking into doing this for a while and probly will in the spring. the cab is straoght foward from what ive learned except for those rear body mounts. THe bed is the more diffucult part from what i understand. I belive its easier to cut down a Stepside bed.

6. jaysonsk5

jaysonsk5 1/2 ton status

dose anyone else have any info of more pics of this swap?

7. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

You may want to PM B_TO_C I know he has done the swap. From what I hear its very easy.

8. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I've done the swap. I also talked to frizzlefry before I got underway just to see if he had any suggestions. It's true...he was drivable in one day, but I have to stress that his is a carbed truck. Once you get wires mixed up in everything it adds a little time. My truck was drivable in three days though, still not a big deal. (originally a 1990 blazer, with a 1985 cucv cab). But even the wiring is simple as long as you label everything.

Here is a shot of how we (me and Mrk5 did the swap...his shop) did the rear cross member. We found it was actually quite simple. We welded the original truck crossmember to a 2x4 piece of tubing that spanned the frame railes, then used another chunk underneath each side sitting ontop of the blazer body mounts. So essentially...we were connecting the trucks body mounts to the blazer body mount points, just in a roundabout fashion. -There is a bolt that goes through the 2 sections of 2x4 tubing and through the original blazer body mount hole.
    [​IMG]

Eventually ended up with this...

[​IMG]

More pics in Mrk5's gallery here: http://photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Project%20Flatbed/

Any other questions just PM me.