Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cab wiring harness questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMCLegacy, Oct 9, 2004.

1. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

Im in the middle of swapping a 6.2 from an 83 K10 into my 76 C30. i am looking to get rid of the glass fuses and wondered how much difference i should expect to see with the cab wiring harnesses. both trucks are non power windows, and non power locks. the 83 has a cab light and of coarse the additional wiring for the diesel lights in the cluster. looking at it, there seems to be a difference in wiper motor plugs, the 76 has 1 less even though both rigs are non delay wipers. will the 83 wiper motor work in my 76 if need be?

anything else anyone has ran into?

also if anyone has a lead on a decent priced radiator, please let me know

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

expect serious differences

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I compared my 74 harness to my 77 harness to my 85 harness they were all a little different. OK, the 85 harness was a lot different due to the "smartstik" and California emissions. I don't have the 79K5's harness all the way out yet but it looks similar to the one in my 84K10 so far.

If the 83's harness is complete and unmolested I'd just swap that entire thing into your C30. The only thing that'll probably foul you up is the instrument cluster but I'd probably just take the whole cluster out of the 83 also and just swap in your speedometer and oil pressure gauge.

I've only swapped 80s wiper motors around but the one in the 79K5 in the back yard seems to be the same as the one in my truck (both have delay).

So I take it you bought the whole truck? If so, and you want to get rid of the 700R4/NP208, I'll scrap the idea of searching for a 700R4/NP241.

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

well i am working on it today.

so far i have found that the wiper control switch is different, both the plug and the switch itself will not fit in the older cab, it doenst seem to be too tough to make it fit though.

i also found that they parking brake mechanism has seen years of abuse, it has pushed though the firewall! it has cracked the firewall so far that the fuse panel only is held on my 1 screw now. i think it will go on my "to fix list" that never gets fixed.

cybersniper-the tranny actually appears to be a 400/208, and i dont think its for sale. i bought the engine compartment, dash cluster, and wire harnesses. let me know if your still interested, i will see if he will part with it.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, how many wires are going to each of the switches? If the switches act the same way you can release the terminals from the connector and then put them in the old connector. I'd probably go that route instead of modifying your dash and/or bezel to fit the new switch.

I'd definitely fix the cab. That's some serious abuse. The K5 had two of the three bolts missing in its emergency brake pedal.

A 400/208 wouldn't be too terribly bad if it were cheap enough. But, if he wants to keep it then it's probably in 700R4/NP208 pricerange.

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

switches have different amount of wires. i grabbed the switch from the 83 so that should be set, although i have no lights. maybe have to swap the front headlight harness also. thats tomorrows project. the trucks runs with the 83 diesel harness so i at least know my neutral safety and ignition circuits are working. didnt check my brake lights yet. i bought a ton of bulbs for the cluster, and white spray paint, seems to look good, but havent powered it up yet.

7. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

anyone ever loose power inside the cab? i do not have any exterior lights at all. ive traced the power coming into the cab, but it somehow doesnt make it to my headlight switch. the truck runs, i have power at the gage cluster, not sure about the wipers. all the fuses are good, checkem twice.

any ideas?

8. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I'm in NH but I do have a TH700R4 / NP208
    Both work!
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif