Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cable Modem Tweak

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudFrog, Mar 21, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Was reading the "sexy thumbnail pic" thread, and saw where Rene was complaining about his connection so I thought I'd post this.

http://www.cablenut.com

It's freeware and it will drastically improve your cable connection. It makes a change to your registry so be sure to back it up. You can back up the registry within the program if you don't know how to otherwise. Anyway, I went to http://www.DSLReports.com and tested my connection 4 times before I installed it and my average connect speed was 750k/s and my average download speed was about 125k/s. After I installed the software my average connect speed was 2900k/s and my average download speed is 520k/s. Thats a heck of an improvement if you ask me. I'm using Windows XP Professional so your results may vary.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My average pre-tweak was about 700 kps and download was 200 kps. After the tweak my conect is usually over 1000 kps sometimes as high as 1200, but my download speed hasn't changed. It's peak time here though so i'll have to check later tonight.

Rene

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I bet it's not as good as you would hope but every little bit helps. Did you use the Normal or Fast registry setting? I used the Fast.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's not as good as i expected...you're right. It did help a bit though. My throughput is averaging over 1000 kps now which is T-1 territory...

I used the fast setting...I tried both and got the most improvement with the fast setting.

Thanks!

Rene