Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cable operated clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rhuarc31, Nov 28, 2004.

1. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Anyone converted from mechanical clutch linkage to a cable operated system? Looking for some ideas and tips.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I would think a cable style likage would be more headache than a hydraulic set up .
    Are you talking about a cable within a sleeve style or a bellcrank/lever style?
    Tom

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it is seen in smaller cars, im not exactly what ones, i beleive honda used to use cables

i think you would loose some of the mechanical advantage you gain with the linkage.

it would be a good altenrnative to finding a hydro setup.

4. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Well here's what I'm thinking. Drill a hole in the stock clutch lever where the stock rod rests. Use a cable similar to a cable automatic shifter. Put a bracket for it on the tranny and run the cable up to the clutch pedal. If it'll work total cost should be less than 50 bucks and will solve the problems we're currently having with frame/body flex. The loss of mechanical advantage is a concern, as is cable strength, though B&M rates their shifter cables at 600 lbs. I think it would be okay since most of your mechanical advantage comes from the pedal itself. Just wondering if someone else has tried it before I dive in. We've had lots of problems with the zbar coming off the ball on this particular truck since it's pretty beat up and we wheel it pretty hard.

5. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my buddies 78 landcruiser is cable operated

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Look for an International 3/4 ton pickup 73-74. I had one and it was cable operated clutch. Junkyard could probably yield all the parts you need with a little fabbing.

7. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I tried it before and could never get a cable system to work. First off I coulden't find a clutch cable that was strong enough to do it but long enough to reach. The best thing I found was a e-brake cable (don't remember what it was from). If I mounted it so it came at the clutch fork from behind it would have to many bends in it and want to bind. If I mounted it so it came at the clutch fork from the front the headers would heat it up and melt the plasitc liner/cover. When I was finaly able to get it to stop melting I started braking the 5/8" mounting bolt.

I ended up giving up and running hydro

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

you need to keep the cable in tension, it would be hard for it to work in compression.