Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cable question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Jun 19, 2006.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Cable television, that is.

Both my parents and my in-laws consulted me this weekend during Father's Day visits regarding their "noisy" pictures on some TV's in the house. Both households have multiple in-line splitters to come up with the required number of outlets to their various equipment.
    Would they each be better off with an amplified 4-outlet splitter located as close as possible to the service entrance, and hopefully only need one non-amp splitter somewhere downstream? I can get the amp semi-reasonably priced at work...

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Less spiltters better signal .

However , I run my house on 2 splitters . Splitter 1 goes to living room and a second splitter . Second splitter runs to bedroom , computer room ( computer room has splitter for tv/modem ) and garage .

Good picture for me , even with the db loss , in that back bedroom .

Make sure all cables are tight . And use low loss splitters . Ask a cable guy for some .

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

get good splitters.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It may be worth the cost of a service call to make sure you have a good signal level as it hits the house. Crappy signal level to begin with is not the way to start.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

go to radio shack and get a powered amplifier. Our TV signal when we moved in was horrible. When dad built the house he installed a bunch of splitters and put a hookup in every room of the house(sometimes more than one). I went and a got a powered amplifier at Radio shack and hooked up the most important connections to it (the inernet terminal, big screen tv connection, my room :wink1:, and the tv in the sitting room). The pictures instantly became perfect and the rest of the ones in the house also cleared up. We have a 42" Plasma TV with HD Digital cable running off of the powered amplifier, looks perfect.

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

x2 we have 6 tv's + cable modem added the signal amp and everything cleaned up.

7. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I worked at ATT in Denver and Time warner here in NY and they both will GIVE you splitters and an amp. Should install them too. Crappy splitters and cable are a nightmare. Also, the good splitters are designed to be grounded. Have them make a service call, squirrels do MASSIVE amounts of damage to outside lines in a hurry. Also check to make sure they aren't using those wonderful gold plated push on cables. That was the first thing I looked for on service calls. Crappy cables, then crappy radio shack splitters, then signal strength to the house, then squirrel damage.