Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cable route for amp

Discussion in 'Audio' started by hi pinion, Apr 21, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I need to know the best way to get my cable for my amp,from the battery,through to the inside of the cab....via firewall,or someplace else,to power my amp,WITHOUT drilling the heater core lol.Whats the best way to go???Through the firewall??through the floor??The roof??Where? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifIs there a pre existing gromet i can go through,through the firewall,or someplace else?How did you guys do yours?I looked around,but diddnt see any openings for my cable to go though.Should be simple for you guys to answer!!!!!Need to power my amp!!! HELP!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif YOURS TRULY,HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifIt is an 85 k5........is there a way i can go withought drilling????

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well lets see, to get your negative cable inside the cab I would run it down near the kanuke valve, make a left turn from there and wrap the wire around the muffler bearings(will keep the wire warm and ready to go) at this point be carefull not to disturb your blinker fluid master cylinder! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif AS soon as they suck air they are a PITA to get primed again. Now you should see that Johnson rod located on the fire wall, just slide 'er on through behind it. At this point you should be in the cab. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Hows it going Jake? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I will go and look to see how my cable is routed in a minute.

3. rjfguitar

Looks like my Amp wire goes in through a small hole under my A/C evap.

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

You do not need to drill out a hole, just run it from the battery along the hood, out from under the hood then in the vent window down to the dash and under the dash half way, that way you can tap into it for your radio and EQ. then back the rear of your k5. if you leave it on top of the carpet and seat it will be easy to keep your 10g wire cool when you have 3 amps on it and that way you can run your RCAs and them next to each other. make sure you run a power and the ground to the battery both. If you 10g for your power i would think 14g would be ok for ground and 16 or 18g for your subs. If you do not hear any extra noise when you have the k5 running you did not do it right.

brett
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    just run it from the battery along the hood, out from under the hood then in the vent window down to the dash

[/ QUOTE ]
    The classic way. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I ran mine under the truck and drilled up into cab at closest point of amp. Tucked wire up and out of sight with some zip ties and "no can see".

Also, you can install a coleman generator in the back and run all 25 amps off of that /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Wow,that sounds complicated.Due to the fact i am an EXTREME rock crawler,i was tinking, just thinking,due to the fact,i wont have anymore fenders,cause im a rock KrAwLeR, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifand a EXtreme rock crawler lol,i will just run it dirrectly over my hi pinion,and swirl it on the driveline,(candy Kane)style,and loop it back to the antenna(get better reception)then though the wing,to the amp. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifNo really, how can i get it there ???I will have to drill???I dont know if i can do this heavy modification,withought talking with a proffesional 4x4 counselor fist. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifNa just kidding again,come on!!!!!!You guys can install eppileptic lift kits,and cant even handle the little task of running a wire??????Hmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifIdeas anyone?????? And for all you haters,dont talk#@$# cause ill sent you to"cripple creek" lol. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Down on cripple creek,she sends me ,if i sprang a leak she mends me,a drunkards dream if i ever did see one(song dumb ass) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I ran mine under the truck and drilled up into cab at closest point of amp. Tucked wire up and out of sight with some zip ties and "no can see".

Also, you can install a coleman generator in the back and run all 25 amps off of that /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ].......WHO CARES??????Na ,whats up jake slim?????? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifHow are you???Havent been here for a while feels good to be back.............Now define="closest point of amp" where???by the front passenger seat??Or is it best to run the whole show to the back of the truck???I dunno but these cables are expensive,Jake /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You could always get a 'power transmitter' and send the power to the back end. Just hook the transmitter to the battery neatly tucked under the hood and place the receiver next to the amp. No visible wires anywhere! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rjfguitar

Boy, looks like my sarcastic remark caught on. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Jake, I would have a stereo shop do it man, It wouldn't cost you much just to have them run some wiring for you. If you are still wanting to do it yourself than I would drill a hole large enough for it through the firewall under the A/C evaporator(as we talked on the phone) and run it under the carpet to your amp. You could run the wire in the frame rail to the back to your subs but I don't like the idea of high voltage wire exposed to the elements. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

to the man above bobby:thanks,that sounds cool.I will look into it,tell more!!!Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif to bobby.......Ok thats it boy,im sending YOU to CRIPPLE CREEK!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifIm gonna cripple ya with a whiplle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifj/k na,there not so high voltage lol,ill just drill a hole,pull the wires through.duct tape,whalla,instant cable ran i guess /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifim sure i can handle drilling a small hole lol.mabey use a rubber gromet to protect the wires from cutting themselves.I dunno. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifjake

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

well since you bought the amp at Walmart, it's good that your spending so much time on the installation process. All that simulated mosfet power will help you achieve mall status in not time.....

ok, now back to the rock crawling for me.

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    to the man above bobby:thanks,that sounds cool.I will look into it,tell more!!!Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif to bobby.......Ok thats it boy,im sending YOU to CRIPPLE CREEK!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifIm gonna cripple ya with a whiplle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifj/k na,there not so high voltage lol,ill just drill a hole,pull the wires through.duct tape,whalla,instant cable ran i guess /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifim sure i can handle drilling a small hole lol.mabey use a rubber gromet to protect the wires from cutting themselves.I dunno. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifjake

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would definantly use the rubber groumet.

If you had my 2 amps in the back it would be a hi power line. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif J/K /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

wait a minute there smarty pants /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gifmy 4 yr old used stereo stuff is top of the line /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifstero 100 bucks ,amp 50 bucks 250 watt /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifcables 50 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifspeakers homemade by my stoned brother in law FREE /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I LIKE BASS IN MY VAN HALEN /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif............HEY!!MAll status???dont you work in the mall?????Hell i havent been to the mall in 5 yrs. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifTrim those fenders !!!!Ya damn poser!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif RoCk On RoCk CrAwLeR DudE /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifHey ill talk to you about the drivelines when i get a chance if you still have them.Jake /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. rjfguitar

I just meant power man. I wasn't making fun of your stuff Jake. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am feeding 1,500 watts with my cable. Thats a lot of juice flowing through there. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

not you bobby,jakeslim,i was teasing him a little,with my wall mart amp lol.Its ok to tease back!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifYeah man,all i need is 250 watts,im good.I cant fathem a 1500 w powered stereo,i dont need that much.With 2 12s and 250 watts,it pounds already.No need to get greedy,plus,i got the stuff dirt cheap from my jewish buddy who owns a stereo shop /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifSo......i guess ill just copy yours(since the stero shop did yours that way)and run with it.Last i had this stuff going,i had it in one of my plumbing trucks lol /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif,but,my customers used to get weirded out when i had the 2 12s going,so i took it out /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.any added info on running the wires would be great.Take a birds eye veiw when you get a chance.Lastr time,i ran the ground to a passenger side seat bolt /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifis that right???Or do you ground yours to the battery neg????Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    i had this stuff going,i had it in one of my plumbing trucks lol /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif,but,my customers used to get weirded out when i had the 2 12s going,so i took it out /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    Take a birds eye veiw when you get a chance.Lastr time,i ran the ground to a passenger side seat bolt /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifis that right???Or do you ground yours to the battery neg????Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Mine ground is just bolted to the floorboard near the amps. 1500 watts is not as much power as you think. It is louder but more importantly sounds better because it is clearer and sounds "bigger" . Did you ever hear my system when you were in town?

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

yeah man,it rocks,i heard it.Im going for the same deep sound,but on one small budget lol. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifdosent sound too bad with hardly no money into it....... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifJake (end of thread lol)