Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cable router help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by spincast375, Dec 17, 2005.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

so i followed the instructions to setup on my 1st pc, but it gives nothing for the 2nd pc(which is the reason i bought the router!).

i think i got the cables connected right but idn what i need to run to get it to connect to the internet...

jw

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

make sure you are getting an IP address from the router to the second PC, and also make sure that your router is getting an IP address from your ISP. You say cable so Im assuming your running Comcast, make sure your WAN port is set up to recieve a dynamic IP address.

3. spincast375

haha omg. i have no idea what u just said, which is probably my problem. can u try again, maybe a little more english. lol

tks man
    jw

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

By default IIRC all you have to do is to go into the router and allow more than 1 computer to connect( setting between 1 and 50). All you should have to do is plug in the computer into the router.

5. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Its possible you might need to go read some posts on a LAN/Networking forum and not CK5. If you dont know about IP addresses, WAN ports, and ISP's, a few posts on this forum won't help you. Sorry buddy.

6. spincast375

got any suggestions...

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You have to install an internet connection on the second computer. Basically with a router you are creating a network in your house and the computers have to be setup to recognize that. If you are running Windows there is an internet connection wizard that will walk you through the whole thing. It even shows you pictures if you do not know how your computers are linked together.:D

Ira

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just looked at it on my machine it is called "Network Connection Wizard" It is located in the Control Panel menu.

Ira