Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cable shifting the NP205?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by keith, Apr 21, 2003.

1. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I did a search and found only a reference to cable shifting the 203. Has anyone used a cable type shifter on there 205. Pictures would be great. Thanks

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't think you would ever find a cable (well, not a common automotive type shifter cable) with the ability to push a 205 shift rail, much less 2 with the see-saw hooked up...

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

AFAIK 'Morse' type cables only go up to 1/4-20 threads. I pretty sure you'd need something bigger than that to be able to push. Pulling wouldn't be an issue.
    I think you would need two cables, each set up to pull in an opposite direction of the other. Stout bracketry will be key to it working well.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Precisely. It would have to be a "pull-pull" setup with 2 separate cables and some bracket fabrication. Are you trying to fix a flex-related T-case shifting issue? Just curious...

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It can be done, but you have to remove the detent balls and springs, use leverage to your advantage (which would mean a cable and shifter with ALOT of throw), and somehow detent the shifter to keep it from moving once a gear position has been reached.
    Is it doable...Yes. Is it feasible or prudent with space limitations and cost/headaches associated........?

Is there a particular reason for wanting this (doubler, custom setup, etc.)?

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I have a doubler with a Ford 205 mounted upside down. I just don't have a shifter and wondered if this would work. The 203 shifts easy but the 205 is alot harder. Just looking into all the options /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will just make some regular shifters tonight. Thanks