Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAD Junkies (file conversions)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieBlazer, Dec 1, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone sure of how to convert something you draw on AutoCAD 04 to a formatt where it will work in AutoCAD 02??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Is it as simple as when you save it getting rid of the AutoCad 04 whatever title and leaving it as a .dwg??

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dunno about in 04, but in 2k and 2k2 its relatively easy to do a "save as" and change the file format to an older version (release 14 or whatever). Takes a short time to convert and presto its done. naturally, if you have a 3d solids model from 2k2, you're gonna lose something if you convert to release 12 or something, but other than that its no problemo. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

very cool, thats what it looks like from the way i was thinking as well

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

in 04 you either do a "saveas" and change the file of type at the bottom to a 2000 dwg or you can go into options and set it so that it always saves as a 2000.

Can't go back to 14 in 04, but you can go to an R12 DXF...

HTH

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just wacky...and stupid. AutoCAD has gotten more unfriendly with each year. I am looking into other design programs right now. I wish PRO-E wasn't so dang user unfriendly. I love the fact that it's dimensional driven rather than linear driven. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just wacky...and stupid. AutoCAD has gotten more unfriendly with each year. I am looking into other design programs right now. I wish PRO-E wasn't so dang user unfriendly. I love the fact that it's dimensional driven rather than linear driven. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

AutoCAD has done that for years, they always drop a release or two off the saveas menu. The only difference is this year, it was 14 and everybody loved 14. Nobody bitched when 13 got dropped. This year was a VERY nice release as far as actually LISTENING to users. Alot of the changes actually were user driven. It's a novel concept that is actually working.

BTW, you are hunting a parametric system. There are lots of them on the system. Pro-E, Solidworks, Solidedge, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor. I know MDT and Inventor well and would choose Inventor. Don't know the others, beyond that Pro-E is tough to learn/use. The other two are both pretty easy to use and are very similar to Inventor.

Good stuff for the 3-D modeler in all of us /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Is there a free version /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif of this I can get to play with or is it someungodly expensive program??

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there a free version /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif of this I can get to play with or is it someungodly expensive program??

[/ QUOTE ]

You can download some working trial versions of most everything at www.autodesk.com

The cheapest thing I sell is AutoCAD LT for close to $800. Straight AutoCAD runs around $3,295 and Inventor is nearing $5k. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Someone is smoking some good chit /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

For the average Joe user that just wants to mess around with it some, it outrageous. For a company that's trying to make money, it's chump change. I sell over $100k worth of this stuff a month just in my area. Wild stuff man...

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yeah, stuff is expensive for the small shops. I work for a company with more than 300 employees and they still b*tch about the cost of setting up another seat. But, they readily admit that it's much cheaper to spend the $$ on the software and design it right rather than make some big mistakes on projects. We have several multi-million dollar converting machines that we modify all the time. It's not cool wing it and bolt up some hacked up proto-type equipment and tears stuff up. When our lines go down, we lose more than $10k per hour. We have to make sure our stuff is right the first time. That's were 3D modeling is the shiznit! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wish I was better at it. I think I'll download a free version of the inventor and tinker with it. Maybe I can talk the IT guys into getting me a seat if I can use it fairly well. I may pm you with some questions though! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, stuff is expensive for the small shops. I work for a company with more than 300 employees and they still b*tch about the cost of setting up another seat. But, they readily admit that it's much cheaper to spend the $$ on the software and design it right rather than make some big mistakes on projects. We have several multi-million dollar converting machines that we modify all the time. It's not cool wing it and bolt up some hacked up proto-type equipment and tears stuff up. When our lines go down, we lose more than $10k per hour. We have to make sure our stuff is right the first time. That's were 3D modeling is the shiznit! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wish I was better at it. I think I'll download a free version of the inventor and tinker with it. Maybe I can talk the IT guys into getting me a seat if I can use it fairly well. I may pm you with some questions though! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your PM's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks! You rock! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Bryan, check your pm's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif