Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAD whores

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, May 21, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I've been using solid edge and solid works for about 2 monthes now. I am way more familiar with solid edge, but I think my question should apply to most any cad program.

I can pretty much draw whatever I want, excpet tubing. I am having the hardest time figuring out how to draw tubing. I can make tubes in the xyz planes, but cant for the life of me connect them, or get a tube running through more than one plane. Is the only way to do this to make a new reference plane and extrude a circle or what? I can't for the life of me get things to line up doing it this way.

Any tips, or a little step by step would be GREAT. Thanks.

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

don't really know much about cad but i allways look up stuff in the help section /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ARQ.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I've done all the tutorials and tried that, an explanation from a simple joe is what I am after.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

all I use is autocad... but if I wanted to make tube, I'd prolly just make 2 solids (one OD and one ID) and then subtract the ID from the OD... presto, tubing. theres prolly a way to do it with surfaces too... but i generally stick to solids...

j

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

What exactly are you asking to do? I am a SolidWorks designer, so I can help ya out. Are you trying to do a 3D sweep with tubing? What you can do is draw a line that follows the path you want, draw a circle on the plane you want to start on, then do a boss sweep to make the tubing. Very similar to the way you would make a spring. PM me if you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to help you out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Blaze...you and I do the same thing for a living. I am a Solidworks Designer too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

84k5......My first thought was to do a Boss-Sweep like Blaze mentioned. You can even make a 3D sketch to extrude your pipe cross section along. You can also do a Boss-Revolve for straight sections of tubing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You can PM me with questions as well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Beast388, that's pretty cool! I bet you make more money though! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Awesome! I'll mess around with it some more and shoot you guys a pm if I need some help. Thanks a ton! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

No problem at all. Just got promoted to CAD Administrator yesterday. Lots more work, same pay! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Blaze....I doubt it...I could stand to make more $$$, but who couldn't. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I am the only designer at my company, so I handle everything design, quality and CNC related. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

That's pretty cool, man. What kind of stuff do you design?

I hear ya about the money. I was looking at the sarary scale for my job in my area the other day and realized that I make over $2k less than the LOWEST point on the pay scale. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I haven't even looked at a payscale.....probably afraid too. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I work at a company that does thermoforming of sheet plastic and castable urethanes. So I design those types of things. Some days it is interesting and others I'd rather be having a root canal or something. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I only looked at it because IBM offered me a job at a lot more pay. Got me wondering what I SHOULD be making. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sounds cool what you do. Mine is the same way. Some days it is great, but some days it sucks. I mean, how many days can you take changine 304 to 316L on 30 drawings. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif