Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAD500 motor mounts position

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 45acp, Apr 1, 2002.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I have the body removed from the frame and can not measure the clearance between the drivers side engine head to fire wall. I have the engine mounted to the original mounting position for a Chevy engine and this places the engine to far back towards the firewall. Several of you have allready done this conversion. Does anyone know how far forward you moved the mounting position of the CAD500 to clear the firewall? When you moved it forward did you use a flat plate and simply redrill the hole pattern and how thick did you make your plate to mount the engine mounts on? Thanks,

2. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I used .5 inch plate steel and drilled the hole pattern as you mentioned. I'll send you a couple of pictures that I just took. I drilled the hole for the caddy engine mount 1" o/c from the leading edge of the crossmember. Sorry that's about the best I can do since I didn't record any measurements when I put it all together. You will also notice that I needed to notch the crossmember for everything to fit. It took me a while because I didn't want to remove any more than absolutely necessary. I also had to notch the passenger side upper frame to get the exhaust manifold to clear.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

BigBadCad, Would you measure the distance from the back edge of the angled mounting plate to the back edge of the casting flange on the engine block? This would give me a good idea how far you moved yours foward. Also, how much clearance between the head and firewall did this give you and did you have enough clearance for you fan? If you send the pictures please use my email bill@a-tron.net .

4. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

It's pretty tight against the back firewall. I had to custom bend the trans filler tube with finely calibrated tool (my knee) but it fits. There’s plenty of room for the stock fan but you will have to trim the shroud quite a bit. I’ll take those measurements you requested and get back to you