Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy 3R gripes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Mar 12, 2007.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I have a 3R type shaft that I've run for a few months. The centering joint went out due to contamination. Anyone out there ever have success modifying the CV to lube the center?

If not, it seems like I'll dump the shaft and go with a 1350 shaft from High Angle Driveline. It will run me $275 to have the 3R repaired and shortened a bit compared with $400 for a new 1350 shaft from HAD.

http://krazyk5.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2066&highlight=

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The stock one in my '90, the spare one I bought, and the one in my buddy's older truck all have greasable centering balls. It's not a standard zerk though, but one that requires a needle attachment, and it's pretty hard to see if you have any gunk or grease on the shaft.......

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I've disassembled the 3R CV a few times and have not found a zerk on it even one of the flush needle type.

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i know u hate to spend the 400 bucks, but i swapped to one of jesse's 1350 cv shafts & it is the shat. no more vibes & trouble free service. it is quality stuff

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just make sure that they are putting in a grease jerk for the ball/cv. The first HAD 1350 cv slip yoke I had didn't have one in it and the exact same thing happened to it...then I had to have the cv rebuilt...which wasn't cheap by the way....

6. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Will do... :)