Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

caddy 472

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Apr 7, 2004.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

is a 472 a good engine for a K-5? is there a market for them at all would it be some thing that I could sell.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It makes good torque at low rpms and their light for what they are, several members run those and 500's also. Now parts are not as easily had as they are for small or big block Chevy's. There are places to get stuff for it. I am sure someone else knows. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Better off stickin' to more "standard" cid's. I had a Caddy w/a 472. Not sayin you can't get parts, you can, but not like you can for a 350/454 (etc), and the 472 parts of course are alittle more pricey. If it were me, I'd sell it (if you own it) for whatever I could get, if it wasn't mine I'd pass on it. If you need a motor, you can get a decent GM crate motor for $1500-2000 with a GM warranty.
    http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/default.htm?SID=8&
    Check out the ZZ572 motor on the above link. BAD!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

what do you think I could get for a 472

5. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Hard to say. no offense, but I wouldn't haul it off for ya. Find someone who's looking for one & it'll be worth a whole bunch more. Recent rebuild, chrome goodies (valve covers, etc) will help, as Holley carb, HEI, so forth. Post it in the for sale area for what you want for it & go from there I'd say. Also, don't listen to me, if you're determined to have a 472 in your ride, go for it. If you're looking for practical (LOL, whatever THAT is) economical, easy to find parts......small bloch Chev.

6. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

If you have a good running 472 that doesn't require a rebuild, I'd go ahead and use it. I stuffed a 500 under the hood several years ago when my 454 crapped out and have never looked back. In fact I've been so impressed with the performance of the 500 that I doubt I will ever go back to a BBC or SBC.