Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy 500 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Oct 24, 2002.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Hey Y'all,
    I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if I am bringing up old topics. I did a search and nothing came up. Anybody out there running a Cad 500 or 472 big block? I have a 1984 M1009 CUCV Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with a TH400 and a NP208. I took out the floundering 6.2L and put in a 1976 Caddy 500 /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. I juiced the Cad with an Accel ignition system and a 850cfm Edelbrock q-jet performer. I have 3.73 gears in the chunks and 35" mud terrain tires. I have a 14-bolt to swap in and I'm currently looking for a ton front end. I am planning a Edelbrock intake for the motor, a cam from MTS cad parts, headers, and dual 2-1/2" exhaust. What do y'all think? Thanks.
    Sincerely,
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

I thought CUCV's came with 1 ton stuff /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

Sounds like a pretty sweet truck! I've been thinking about putting a 500 in my '78 Suburban, but I don't have the time or money right now. How are those gears with 35's behind a Cad? I keep seeing these motors in the j/y untouched, so eventually I'll break down and buy one. My only reservation is that it won't be smog legal and I need to drive my truck daily. If only my truck was a little older! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    Chris

4. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I don't know how to do the clicky thing /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, but if you go to www.alaskaoffroad.com/caddy, that might help. I've "heard" that the Caddy big blocks make the BBC look like small blocks in the torque department, but I don't know... I've got a 454 and 402 to rebuild, but I keep thinking about the Caddy thing anyway...

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

only the pickups came with one ton gear, the blazers still have the half ton stuff

6. steelsoldiers

The 3.73s are a little high for a good crawl ration, but they are just about perfect for the highway. The 500 is not the most fuel efficient engine, but that's not why I put it in there /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. You can find the 500s in any 70-76 eldo and any 74-76 RWD cad. Some people will give you the car if you will haul it off their property. It does have gobs of torque and breaks the tires loose quick. Yep, only the CUCV trucks had the 14-bolt and Dana 60 combo. All the CUCVs use the NP208 except the M1028, which has the NP205. The 6.2L was actually a great engine. It had good torque and got about 18mpg. The biggest problem was that the injection pump started to go out on me which created hot start problems, more smoke, and less power. It was also puking oil so I figured instead of a rebuild project I would swap in something bigger and more fun to drive. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif My eventual plans include restoring the CUCV and buying a 73-75 topless Blazer to put the Cad in. Before it goes in, it will be stroked to 540ci. Oh yeah! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

not the m1009s. you're prolly thinkin of the m1008s /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

talk to bigbad75K5

69K5
    nathan

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

what did you do about motor mounts and firewall clearance?

10. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I'm still looking for another good 500 block at a reasonable price to warm up a little. Damn things are hard to find around here. My 500 is a bone stock but still has plenty of grunt.

11. steelsoldiers

I bought my mounts from the Cad Company www.cad500parts.com, but I think I would just make them if I had to do it all over again. The clearance was helped with a 2" body lift and a hammer /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Not too bad. I will do that different too if I do this project again. Let me know if you want more details.
    Chris

12. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

so the cad company mounts are just a bolt up deal? did you use their adaptor or the cheep one from jegs? how is the rest of your drive train holding up to the torque? got any pics of the engine bay? thanks,

jason

13. steelsoldiers

Yep, the mounts are basically a piece of plate steel that mounts the Cadillac motor mounts on one end and then you drill and bolt the plates to the chevy motor mount brackets on the frame. Pretty simple that's why I said you could make you own. I bought the Cad Company tranny adapter. It's a real nice piece of billet steel with all the hardware. I don't regret that purchase. The drivetrain is holding up well to all the torque on the street. I haven't had the chance to really beat it off road yet, so we'll see. I'm going off-road in the WV hills over Thanksgiving so I'll let you know /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. The TH400 is plenty stout for the 500. I wouldn't trust the 700R4 though /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif, unless it's built. Go to this page on my site for some decent photos. Caddy Blazer I need to retake them with a digital. Keep the questions coming. I had a time with this swap, but it's definitely worth doing.
    Sincerely,
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif