Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy Big Blocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

While I am not going to start doing it yet, I just want to start gathering info on swapping in a Caddy big block (472 or 500cu)into my Jimmy. When my 350 goes to Chevy Heaven I refuse to replace it w/ a small block (Its that whole macho "theres no replacement for displacement" thing). Who here runs a Caddy big block, how do you like it, what is done to it? Did you buy a kit to put it in or make your own? What problems did you run into or wish you would have done different? Would you recommend the swap, or should people stick to a Chev big block?

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I personly have never ran one in a 4x4 but I have ran some in demolition derby's and they are arguably the best torque maker of all stock gassers! Parts are becomimg more and more avalible every day and trust me they can take some abuse like no coollant for an entire wipe out event in witch I lost the tie for first place but the engine never lost a beat They are still a bit pricy to build up but I'd love to see you run it!

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Read article in Petersons a while back about them.there's new aftermarket intake thats supposed to help bottom and top end power. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I am currently building a 76' Caddy 500. They have alot of good points to them. 40 pounds heavier than your 350. Potential for monster torque down low. The 70' 500 out of a eldorado is factory rated at 400 horses and 550 ft of torque, BONE STOCK. If you want more info contact maximum torque specialties www.500cid.com I purchased a kit from them to put the engine into my pickup. I have yet to put it in though. My engine is still at the machine shop.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you still want to run your 465 you'll have to drill the crank for a pilot bushing and find a bell housing that boltd up to BOP pattern.

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Bellhousing from Olds or Pont will bolt up,but you may have to have the center hole bored larger to work with 465.420 will fit as is,just have to bolt it to tranny first.It is aluminum is down side. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif