Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy caliper Qs ... of a different kind

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spearchucker, Jun 11, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

First question - On the center of the piston there's a rubber button that plugs a hole. What's that for and could I use that caliper without it? One of the calipers I got from Napa has it missing.

Second Q - The brake pads that came with my calipers have a little stub on the back that fits into an indentation on the piston. When I need to buy replacement pads do I need get caddy pads or can I use the spare D44 pads I have?

Last Q - What keeps the pads from rattling? The D44 calipers have the clip that holds the pad to the piston. The caddy caliper doesn't have anything. It looks like the pads will be loose and make noise. Anyone have a problem with that?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The piston actually has another piston inside of it, which contains the e-brake mechanism. The rubber plug is there just to keep dust and dirt out of the area between the two pistons. Since you paid for a good caliper, make NAPA get you a complete on. Or they could open a rebuild kit for one of those calipers, as it comes with the plug.

The little stub on the back of the pad is there to prevent the piston from rotating due to the forces of the ebrake mechanism. It's best to have the stub. Besides, you shouldn't have to worry about it for 80K miles or so. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've nabbed a couple of pairs of calipers from cars in the junkyard and none of them had an anti-rattle spring. But the pistons of the Caddy calipers also don't have the recess that your front calipers have. That's what the spring fits into on the front.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

10-4 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif