Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy caliper question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GM Man, Apr 15, 2006.

1. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I did a search and I couldnt find what I was looking for. I picked up a set of calipers off of a 79 caddy fleetwood, will these work or do I need the eldo calipers?

2. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I believe you are looking for the ever rare 77-78 eldo calipers they have bigger pistons on em.

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

The piston size on these are about 2 1/2 inches in dia. Do you know the size of the eldo calipers?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

It's not the piston size that is the issue, its the rotor thickness that matters. The fleetwoods run a bit thinner rotor than the eldo's. The eldo's run the same thickness rotor as ours.

5. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

to use this calipers, you have to use the rotors off the 88 and up IF pickups. 1" thickness.

6. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I measured the thickness and compared it to the 10bolt/D44 calipers that I have and the Caddy calipers have about 1/16 more room than the 10bolt calipers do. So I'm wondering if I right ones or not. Does anyone know if they changed the bolt pattern on the calipers??

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The only calipers that will work with an E-brake are 1976-1978 caddy eldo. The fleetwood and deville calipers use a thinner rotor and therefor those calipers won't work. The calipers look the same as far as bolt spacing goes but the pistons are different thickness not allowing them to fit over the 3/4 ton rotors.