Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

caddy e-brake rebuild??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I'm having trouble with the e-brake on my caddy calipers. My diagnostic efforts so far say that the problem probably started with a seized (and by now probably stretched) cable, thereby not actuating the e-brake properly, leading to loose pads, squealing, and soft pedal due to increased piston travel. Put new pads in (old ones looked ratty), but it doesn't seem that I can get the ratcheting mechanism of the e-brake lever to work (I did follow the instructions on the TSM web site) - the lever does actuate the piston eventually, but only after a very long travel (almost all travel available on the caliper). I'm going to replace the cable anyway, but if someone has good instructions or a link about rebuilding those calipers - an exploded diagram of components would be nice - it would be very much appreciated as I'd rather not splurge on another set of calipers at the moment. Thanks in advance, michael

By the way, brake bleeder screws plugged with red cement (Moab dust mixed with water/snow and a bit gear oil from a leaky pinion seal and then baked) are not helpful at all...

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have heard of people having issues with them. There are a couple places out there that you can rebuild kits from if you have the #'s off the caliper. I'll have to dig them up, but I found a couple places before.

Also, try All-Data. It might have what your looking for. Most public libraries have free acces to it. It might be worth a trip there to do some research if you don't have access to All-Data.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The author of this Article is a friend of mine and an Engineer. His Cad brakes sucked so he tore them apart, figured out why, and how to fix them. Recommend you read it B4 going much further.