Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

caddy Gm number for disc brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ShitownK5er, Jun 21, 2003.

1. ShitownK5er

ShitownK5er 1/2 ton status

Ok i got all my parts for the rear ff14bolt disc swap a couple of days ago i got some gm numbers for the ebrake lever now i got the levers does anyone know the Gm part number for the other peices? im guessing some sort of plate for the cable to lock into and a return spring. i do have the levers that the actual cable connects to that twists on the caliper and pushes the piston in.

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Cody, I am actually working on a kit for this very thing this weekend. When its finished the first one will go to GrimReaper/Eric who will install it and work out the bugs which I am sure there will be a few. I have made a new lever that points forward instead of backward like the caddy did. The plate that holds the cable will mount to the spring plate and extend out to the lever. The biggest issue I see right now is that everyone has a different highth (spring perch and spring pack) from the axle to the top of the spring plate which controls heighth of this brace for the cable. It should be done this week or next at the latest. These are the parts everyone has had the most trouble with getting the brakes to really hold.

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

any guestimate on price range?

4. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Rob, Not yet, the first one is always expensive and no one would buy it. After we get one on a truck and find the problems that need correcting I'll work on improving the price. The prototype on my 14 bo0lt looks pretty solid and the only thing left to workout is the return spring and maybe recrimping the cable a little shorter. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress this week. Maybe a sneek picture tommarow.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Cool, can't wait to see/hear on this

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Jeff, I have a few pictures of the first prototype in my members rides photo album. There are still a few things to do but you will get the idea.

7. ShitownK5er

So there is no gm numbers for this setup?

8. ShitownK5er

ok the gm dealership ordered me the springs now i just need the "mounting plate" anyone know the gm number i have the levers and springs. They cant find any of the numbers i had to get them off of here and they were the right ones (levers and springs) so thank you guys for that

9. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

got the part #'s for the springs?

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i was just curious.. i am not ready to start on my rear disc setup yet.... but can anyone tell me why we couldnt use the new calipers off of say a 2000 chevy pickup? they all have rear disc brakes now.... so wouldnt they have the e-brake setup on them???/
    just curious......

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i was just curious.. i am not ready to start on my rear disc setup yet.... but can anyone tell me why we couldnt use the new calipers off of say a 2000 chevy pickup? they all have rear disc brakes now.... so wouldnt they have the e-brake setup on them???/
    just curious......

[/ QUOTE ]

The new setups use a small drum inside the rotors like the mercedes did since the early 60's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I don't know how you would if you could, adapt those systems to the old axles but you could try if you can get your hands on a setup.
    If I had acces to one I would try it, I like chalenges.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For one thing the axle flanges are a different size, and rotated 45* IIRC. I looked into these a couple of years ago.

I'm sure they can work, but they unfortunately wouldn't be a bolt on affair.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    For one thing the axle flanges are a different size, and rotated 45* IIRC. I looked into these a couple of years ago.

I'm sure they can work, but they unfortunately wouldn't be a bolt on affair.

[/ QUOTE ]

everything bolts on with a welder!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    everything bolts on with a welder!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I only wish I could get my hands on the setup for as cheap as I've got the other rear disk setups I've got. (less than $80 each) I don't think it would be much more complex of a swap than the cadillac setup, and probably work better too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif