Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noahrob, Feb 4, 2006.

1. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Help..Brandon or one of you guys that have a cady 500...How the F*ck do you get it out of the El Dorado? I've got everything disconnected but can't get the engine out because the oil pan is up against the transaxle so can't move forward. I can't move the tranny back because it is against the oil pan. Can't go straight up because the tranny shaft is still in...I'm sure it is somethin ftotally lame, but if you were willing to help me out that would be fantastic as I have an ugly a*s green El Dorado in my drive way with an engine I want....

2. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

where the heck is brandon when you need him, Mr. Torque himself..... you who come out come out wherever you are....

LUKE

3. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

try and take it out with the pan off that may work

4. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

take the trans out with the engine then take the tranny off.

5. noahrob

Hmmm...Ok. I'll have to take a look to see what holds the tranny to the car in the back and on the drivers side....If I can just unbolt the transaxles from the wheels and then the tranny from the car...

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

let me find some stuff, give me a minute

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, heres 3 different docuiments i used while uninstalling mine
    mine went pretty easily

=================================
    "I've been removing and installing my 500 in the Eldo almost every weekend for the last 3 weeks, with my eyes closed! LOL Here's the scoop:
    Jack up car, disconnect exhaust on both sides, disconnect wiring, fuel lines, drain radiator, detach hoses. Set aside pwr steering pump and AC compressor. Turn steering wheel all the way to the right. Remove front passenger tire and jack up a-arm. Remove lower shock nut and slide shock half way off stud. Next, remove the 6 bolts attaching the passenger half shaft to the cv-joint. Remove starter, remove inspection cover (it will come off with some pulling, one section hinges over itself). Remove flywheel bolts. Now, remove two bolts attaching shaft bracket to block. Remove one lower bolt attaching bracket to diff. Slide the CV joint out of the way and work the half shaft out of the diff to remove it. Now, there's a large nut and bolt that secures the diff to the driver's engine mount. Remove this nut and bolt and also detach the bracket that holds the trans cooler lines to the mount. Remove the nut and washer from each engine mount. Place a jack under the edge of the diff. Remove the bellhousing bolts, begin lifting engine while jacking up on the diff, it should come right out. It's easier than it sounds. Putting it back in is the tough part : ) "
    ======================================================
    Cory can give you complete instructions, he's pulled his motor a bunch of times. As far as I remember, unbolt the CV joints from the diff and half-shaft, unbolt the half-shaft support arm from the trans, pull the half-shaft from the diff, then unbolt motor mounts and trans mounts and you're good to go. You may have to turn the steering wheel a little to get to the CV bolts more easily. This is assuming you've already taken care of the normal stuff like unbolting exhaust pipes from manifolds, radiator tubing, engine accessories (plus starter and ground straps), fan and shroud, etc. When the engine and tranny are out, you can unbolt and slide the engine forward over the trans. You can also try sliding the motor off the trans while they're in the engine bay, but space is limited and you're probably better off doing it out in the open.
    One piece of advice: to unbolt the trans mount, you will have to wratchet up through the cross-member from underneath in these two holes that are there to access the two bolts. You may have to feel around a little for the mount bolts, but it is WAY easier than trying to unbolt the trans from the mount -- 5 or 6 bolts, all really hard to get to.
    There you go, good luck... if Cory has any corrections, I'm sure he'll let us know.
    ==============================================
    Fastest way is to use the torch on stuff like the exhaust pipe Y section, cut the wiring loose with snips, hacksaw to the hoses, etc. Save the gas lines for last if you are using a torch. You can cut thru these with tin snips or a good pair of lineman's pliers, crimp the tubing and then twist the pliers from side to side and the line will fracture. Do this with the engine lifted loose on the crane.
    Get the motor mounts loose from the frame section. There is one bolt on the drivers side that retains a small diff bracket, remove it completely and you can then unbolt the bracket from the diff to get it out of the way. You will also need to remove the halfshaft under the pan. Torch thru the CV axle shaft, then remove the 2 bolts holding the bearing bracket to the pan rail and the strut from the bracket to the diff. The complete bracket and shaft pulls straight out the side of the diff.
    Get the smaller bellhousing covers off the front so the torque converter can come out. You can remove the starter and get to the torque converter bolts, or leave the starter in place and bring the converter with the engine.
    Smash thru the bellhousing dome with a section of pipe and a decent size sledgehammer. It's butch but very quick, the bellhousing dome around the converter is quite thin..

8. noahrob

I think smashing through the bellhousing with a pipe might be my favorite. Dang, we were so close...just baffled as to how to get over that driveshaft on the passenger side. I'll read these a few more times to make sure I am understandign it, but basically since I don't have a torch (and the fuel lines have already been cut) I will either:
    a) Pull the tranny out with the engine.
    b) figure out a way to unbolt the torque converted so as to leave the tranny behind.

Thanks for the info...

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i pulled it out attached to the tranny

10. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Screw it, lets get the torch from Dave and go to town:weld:. I like the smashing idea also.

11. noahrob

I was thinking about this, doesn't he have a compressor on the truck? What about a cutoff wheel, less likely to catch the whole car on fire...

12. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No compressor but he does have a big cut off wheel. Call him so you can set up a time after work this week, he said he was up for it. Also if he cant get the engine hoist let me know and I will get Robs.