Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy Motor 101

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbluesuburban, Mar 24, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Yes I know... Search is my friend and I think that I have read every post ever posted about the big caddy motors.

What I am looking for is a comprehensive listing of what years have what size motors in which models and which are the best for a wheeler swap.

If you are a Caddy motor master please pour out your knowledge.

Also, I know I read a link for a 500 motor performance website. But now that I am looking for it again I can not find it. If you know the site I am talking about I would appreicate the link.

Thanks

2. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

http://www.500cid.com/

I think all Eldo's came with the 500. The low compression one's are ok too. Just get an MT5 or MT10 cam and that will help out ALOT. I'd rather have low compression so I can burn regular fuel.

3. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

well...sounds like we might be have'n'nuther caddy convert... :D
    I'm sure BranndonC and a few others will chime in on the thread .

'70-'76 ('70 had 10:1 - rest were in the 8.5:1 range) eldorados had a 500.
    '68/'69 (all) had a 472. (high comp)
    '70-'74 RWD's had a 472.
    in '75/'76 everything except a seville got a 500.
    I'm not sure on what years they put 425's into other than cadillac started using 'em in '77.

there's www.cadillacpower.com('nuther forum)
    www.500cid.com (mts)
    www.cad500.com (Cad Co.)
    http://www.cadillachighperformance.net (Torque Inc)
    http://www.cadillacperformanceparts.com (Potter's)

4. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

WOW! Thanks...

For me it's all about torque... and that means one of three things...
    1. swap in a diesel
    2. build a performance small block
    3. swap in a big block

As long as I have a gas tow rig, I will have a gas trail rig... so no diesel. And building a performance small block costs money, and not a small bit of it. So that leaves me with a BB and getting a Chev BB ain't gonna happen, but a Caddy BB is cheap, torquey and different.

Thanks for all the info

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Bump

how do you differentiate the differrent cid's of caddy engines?

I've got a line on a cheap complete caddy bigblock out of a 80's caddy. thats all I know about it so far. So how do I tell a 500 from a 472 from a 425?

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

500 stopped in 1976

7. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Roger that, thanks.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

are these motors that much better than say a 454?
    just curious...

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yes and no...

A caddy 500 puts out 510 foot pounds of torque in stock form!..no 454 does,except a LS-6 from the 70's....The Caddy motors are also made of high nickel content steel,a better grade than other GM motors used..I've seen dozens of them with the honing marks still visible after 100,000 miles..

They do have a few shortcomings though..they dont like high rpm's,(most other long stroke big blocks dont either,and will toss a rod if held at high revs for too long in stock form)..the valve train can be weak too,the rocker arms and retainers especially..

They are also not a direct bolt in,but can be adapted fairly easy to GM trucks..the oil pan is the biggest hurdle,Eldorado pans are the only ones that work,and a few "mid sump" ones,and now that everyone wants a Caddy motor,they are becoming scarce..also,aftermarket performance parts are not as readily available as BBC ones are,and are priced accordingly..but with over 500 Ft.lbs ,you wont need to pump it up much anyways!..

I'd say they are a suitable substitute for a 454,they are the last big block readily available for 500 bucks or less in many areas..they too are getting harder to find with each passing day..if a 454 were available for the same money,it would be a lot easier to install than a Caddy motor,its a direct bolt in swap if you have the pulleys and brackets..no "customizing" nessasary..:crazy:

10. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I just happen to have a 500 ready to go back together bored .030 over had all the good machine shop tricks done,interested? pm me

11. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, that big block the Demon mentioned is a mid 80s caddy big block for 300 bucks, with a tranny too. Claims both are in good running condition.

What kind of engine would that be?

12. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

The mid 80's is probably a 4100 (4200?) POS not worth the trouble.
    As d4me stated the valve train is the weak link. A good rocker setup willl run about $600. The bottom end is real strong if assembled right, there are some tricks, oil pump gaskets, rod side clearance, and camshaft bolts are the common errors. If you rebuild it yourself get online at one of the forums posted for lots of knowledgeable help. The best cadillac engine guys
    are at www.cadillacpower.com.
    So how good is the caddy bottom end? There are guys running high nines to low tens on stock bottoms, one guy even has hit his with a 275hp shot of NOS way more than once. Thats a cast crank, pistons, and rods. As far as rpm limits a well assembled stock bottom end can routinely see 5500-5800 and live a long and happy life. Bad assembly has killed many of these engines. Hope that helps .
    George

13. slicer4559

slicer4559 Registered Member

I had a 1969 472ci in a shortbox chevy, the motor was stock, and ran great. talk about tons of torque, WOW, if your of a mind to do this swap, i would suggest gettin rid of the that bathtub intake manifold for an edelbrock performer manifold, it'll give you a few extra ponies, better performance, and just maybe an extra mile or two. its a great swap, good luck!

14. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

heres a few pics of my swap tha might help. its a 76 500 out of a deville...

escalade1.jpg

escalade4.jpg

brandons stuff 020.jpg

escalade3.jpg

escalade2.jpg

15. slicer4559

slicer4559 Registered Member

this easiest way for me to find out which motor was which , i called the local wrecking yard and had them look it up in their books, i just gave them the numbers off the engine, and they told me what i needed to know. give it a try and see what happens.