Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy Motor or 22R?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Mar 15, 2007.

?

What should I do for a drivetrain?

1. Toyota Drivetrain

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. 500 Cubes Baby!

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Nekkid/Bacon

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've hit a wall with my build. I just don't have enough time and money to finish off the truggy the way it should be. I'm gonna buy a Toyota and put one-tons underneath it. Only problem is that up here to find a rust-free body you've almost gotta find a truck without a drivetrain to keep it at a sane price.

My buddy has a 22R/5-speed/Toy Case in his garage that we took out of a parts truck. The beauty of this drivetrain is that I could do a doubler for around $400, and of course it'll drop right in. The problem is that it was his parts truck not mine, so I'd need to buy a body and the driveline off of him on top of that.

I also have the buggy drivetrain, which consists of a Caddy 500, TH400, NP241. Pros: Big power, I already have it, the TH400 has a fresh rebuild with a reverse manual vb. Cons: I've never heard the motor run, it's still gonna take some money to finish it, and it DEFINITELY won't drop right in. Hell, I'm not even sure there's enough room in a Toyota engine compartment to fit that motor in there.

Not pretty either way, but what do you guys think? :(

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

22R all the way

3. mikey_d05

Any particular reason?

Not to sway opinions one way or the other, but I have a spider injection 4.3 that needs a bottom end rebuild. I could pick up an ECM and harness for around $200 at a later date, and then a bellhousing and rebuild and have a fuelie 4.3 with a 5-speed and dual cases.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you're out of money.....what are you buying the Toyota with?

If you're out of time.....how will you do a complete driveline swap under said Toyota?

:dunno:

Sounds more like "gut check" time than time to give up and start something new..... :deal:

5. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

X2

If you don't have the time to finish your build, then why would you buy another project? Why not just sell off all your parts, and buy a completed truck, if your going to swap a motor in a toyota, I say vortech W 4.3 with a 5 speed, it will leave that little 22R in the dust, how much for the caddy motor, i'd take it off your hands ;)

6. mikey_d05

I don't mean to be harsh, but it's fairly evident neither of you have dug into the world of truggies/buggies before. I didn't say I was out of time and money, I said I didn't have enough to finish a truggy off the way it deserves to be finished.

Everything that you take for granted in a cab needs to be fabbed, and I do mean everything.

Swapping axles is a little less involved than building an entire rear suspension and the tube work to support it. Mounting a motor and making rock sliders is a day or weekend project, making your own floors, boatsides, etc. is a little more work. :wink1:

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

if a rust-free body is that pricey up there, just buy one from somewhere else. here, in texas, rust is a very minor concern here and you could probably have it shipped for less than you'd pay up there for the truck alone. but, i know trucks are pretty rare in texas :haha:.

8. mikey_d05

Might keep it for the future or give a local a shot at it first. I'll keep you in mind though.

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

What do you mean when you say do it right? You can build a rig that may not look as nice as others but it will still wheel and you can have fun in it. I know what you are going through because I am building mine too.

I kept the stock seat, firewall, column, brake pedals and floor. That saved me a lot of time, money, and frustration. But again it is not totally awesome looking....I really don't care what everyone thinks though.

10. mikey_d05

To do it right, make it safe, and put all the gauges, shifters, etc. into it that I need to. I chopped off the rear of the frame so I could put it on links. To put it on leaves it'd need to be reworked...again.

Might not matter anymore though. Guy listed an '87 4runner for sale at 3:00, I made an offer at 3:05. We'll see how it turns out.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

No offense taken, but it sounds like you didn't do much in the way of setting up a realistic BUDGET for your build either.... (is this where "touche" works correctly? :D ) Did you have a number like $10,000 in mind when you started?......$30,000?......$50,000? Doing it "right" takes a lot more zeros than a "Get-R-Done" thrash.

I have a pretty good sense of what my next build is going to cost me.... (LOTS!) which is why I'm not too worried about how long it's going to take.

Then again, I guess I'm not like the majority of folks here....I don't really care that much about how long it takes because I enjoy the building process as much as the final product. However, from what I've observed that is not what motivates most members around here.....

12. mikey_d05

Touche. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the build, but I'm not willing to sit around and not wheel for two years...which is how it would go at the current rate. More money and I'd be done by now, more time and the same applies. I just don't have enough of both combined to build a vehicle from scratch.

Just bit off more than I could chew, and now it's time to man up, cut my losses, and realize it.

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Dibs on your 400...

Dont you have a 4.3 sittin in the warehouse Mikey?

14. mikey_d05

Yeah, there's a 4.3 up there. The 400 is a BOP, you wouldn't want it.

15. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I'm going with Nekkid/Bacon

16. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Dammit, that is three times that I have typed out a reply, then lost it. Anyways,

A 500 should fit in a toyota. BBC's have been swapped in, so I know a 500 should fit.

But, I'm a little partial to the 22r/re... :wink1:

Wouldn't buying another k5 be the easiet route to 4 wheeling? I mean, most of your stuff with bolt in (and we know the 500 will fit).

Let me know if you need any help looking for rust free stuff. Plenty down here.

I too picked the nekkid/bacon option :D

17. mikey_d05

It would, but I would trash the body in a single season...again.

If this deal with the 4 runner goes down, I'll have a narrow body on wide axles, fuel injection, an awesome crawl ratio when the dual cases get put in.

Oh yeah, and a body to keep my ass warm in the winter. :crazy:

18. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

So um, are the 39.5's going on this one?

A 22re isn't gonna be very happy with 4.56's and 39.5s for very long.

Guess you could run around in 2wd low. :D

I though you were all about wheel speed?

19. mikey_d05

Yeah, 40's are going on. a 22RE will be plenty happy with a 5.19 gear ratio in the case. ;)

I'll be able to get a reasonable amount of wheelspeed with the 2.28:1 and revving the piss out of it. Besides, that 4.3 is still in the warehouse. :whistle:

20. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Make any deals on the toyota yet?

Found any motor mount kits for the 500 in a toyota yet?

:ears: