Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy motor question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Nov 29, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Someone on craigslist has a 425 Caddy motor out of a '70s model. I have asked him for more info. He's looking to trade for a 350, and I am looking to trade for a caddy. Coincidence? Any info would be helpful.

2. BROKEN-ONE

BROKEN-ONE Registered Member

Project Torq

check brandonc 's link he did this swap not to long ago . the link also has some bad a$$ video to it .

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

depending on the 350 you have i would not bother with a 425, look for a 472 or a 500 they are pretty cheap

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

they're not bad...

While a 425 Caddy isn't quite as desireable as a 472 or 500 cid,they are the same block externally,and have decent torque and HP...if the price is cheap I'd say get it,you could always swap one of the bigger motors in later using the same mounts,etc..still need a rear sump oilpan from an eldorado to do it though..

I know of several guys running Caddy motors--two are using 425's in 2wd long bed pickups to haul slide in campers,and they are very pleased with them..I'd say stick with a TH400 though,it's not easy to adapt a manual tranny to them,but it can be done--expensive,you need special custom flywheel,and to drill the crank for a pilot bushing..not something I'd want to do...:crazy:

5. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I'm not well versed on the Caddy motors but I'd go with whatever size is most prevalent. That will make parts that much easier to find. Probably why the guy wants to swap for a 350.