Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

caddy question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_black_blazer, Dec 5, 2005.

1. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

i'm planning a killer game of musical chairs. i'm removing the tbi 355 & built 700r4 from the big black blazer and putting it in the new 90 k5 i'm picking up thursday. i'm taking the 90's computer, tbi, and heads and putting them on the 305 in my 54 chevy truck. and the big black blazer is getting a 500 from a 74 caddy.
    my question is, does anybody make an adapter to put a np 241 behind a caddy trans? or a 350 or 700 trans behind a 500 caddy? it'll be a while before it gets done anyway, but i'm brainstorming.

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

they make adapters for the trannys behind the 500, my 500 was in a FWD car, so the tranny was usless for me, so i needed a new tranny anyway, i have a th400

3. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

'of course you can. if I remember reading correctly, as I personally haven't had this done but if you swap the output shaft of the caddy 400 to a chevy 4x4 32-spline.
    you should be able to bolt up a 208/241c as long as the input on the transfercase is matching. the np208 and np241c use the same adapter.

4. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Make sure you draw a map so you can remember which engine to put where. :haha:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Th350?

If you use a TH350 behind the Caddy motor with an adapter,you'll have to use a TH400 torque converter(its direct fit swap!)..Caddy 500's never had anything but a TH400 or a TH425 transaxle behind them...so they didn't bother to drill the flexplate for both bolt ptterns like Chevy usually did ..(they also never came with manual tranny's,so they didn't drill the crank for a pilot bushing either! :doah: --some folks found ways around that though)..

Not sure if a 700R4 has a TH400 style bolt pattern converter or not..might not work??..in either case,a 500 Caddy will toast the TH350 or 700r4 if you are hard on the throttle pretty quickly..drive it sanely,and they will last awhile..

You can buy that Caddy motor to Chevy tranny adapter from jegs or summit for about 70 bucks,and use your existing automatic,with the TH400 converter in it.. :crazy: