Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caddy ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dubl_t, Jul 14, 2003.

1. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Caddy ??\'s

I've got a line on a 472/t400 setup thats in pieces. Right now I've got tyhe 350/400/205 setup. How difficult or $$$ is the tranny conversion? Besides oil pickup/pan config what else should I look for? TIA, Topm.

2. Living Large

Living Large Registered Member

Re: Caddy ??\'s

You first need to get the B.O.P. (Buick,Olds,Pontiac)transmission,either a turbo 350 or 400. These will have the correct bell housing pattern. Then get a shop to change the output shaft and tail shaft for the correct transfercase. As far as mounts for the engine, you might have to fab. them yourself. Beware that the offbrand engines can be $$$$ to rebuild. I once built a 455 olds, with all the good stuff(Mondello Racing) and was shocked at the total amount. But at least it will be a stump puller and a major conversation piece. I have known a person to stuff a 501 caddy engine in a 1970 p/u. It was much easier than I expected, and would smoke the rear tires until he let off!

3. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

just use an adapter plate from summit for like $50.00 and call it done. that's what i did for my pontiac swap and have had no problems.

4. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

www.cad500parts.com

They make all the parts for the conversion like motor mounts, stroker kits, adapter plates, etc. I have the conversion done in my 83 and you will need a BPO auto case (and as mentioned what to do with it is correct), stock T350 or T400 flexplate but redrilled to match the motor, new conversion motor mounts, caddy radiator, keep the stock oil pan (the stock pan clears the front cross member on 4wd's on 2wd's you need the El Dorado pan with pick up tube...spendy), oil filter relocation kit (the stock one come out right into the front cross member), keep the stock manifolds with exhaust collectors or convert chevy bb headers (web site for that or just drill them yourself to work), new driveline as the whole tranny/transfer case will be located 4 inches forward to clear the firewall, make sure the new motor has HEI if not they are a nightmare to find but 425/472/500 from 68 to 77 all use the same bolt on parts. $ for $ compared to a big block change over I am happy with the power and even more happy with my gas mileage, 16 mpg. My 71 caddy is rated at 345 hp and 500 ft lbs of torque and can make any ricer take a second thought before they race another big truck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

man, anybody price the rebuild kits for these motors? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif like $850! thats why my 472 is still a yard orniment /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif