Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cadillac 500 Rebuild Kits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Dec 14, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Where can I find a rebuild kit for Cadillac 500? I can't seem to find anything from jegs or summit.

2. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Looking for performance parts as well...

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Summit lists pistons, cams, lifters, intakes, and a bunch of other parts for it.

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

hmm maybe I just looked of it ill check again thanks..

to those also interested

http://www.cad500parts.com

they have conversion kits etc...

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

get in contact with brandonc, hes running a 500, so is diy4x-cyberfire

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

7. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Expensive to build but its a caddy motor got to be worth it with all thise ci's

not much different form a bbc as price is concerened

8. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

BrandonC, is this where you got your oil pan and motor mounts from? did the oil filter clear? Im about to buy a 500just waiting on the person to respond back to me.

9. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Most of the time you can have a 200,000 mile cad motor with hardly any ridge. I have built a couple 500/472 with only a bearing rering kit, and have had no problems. The best thing you can do to these engines is good dual exhaust, cleaned up intake manifold, a mild cam, and GOOD timing chain (not an autozone replacement) most cheap timing gears are ground with -4 to 9deg of retard!!!! I bought my rering kits from northern autoparts.

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

There used to be an outfit called CMD, that was nothing but hot rod Caddy parts. I haven't used them in years, so I don't know if they are still in business.

11. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

So its possible to have them run really strong without even rebuilding them? What years and models did they come in again?
    I may put a caddy motor on my hunting list :wink1:
    Thanks,
    James

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

mines from a 76 eldo, so the oil pan was perfect, it wasnt even an issue

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yup...lots of miles no problem

At the boneyard I worked at,there were many Caddy's from the 70's there,and many of the 472 and 500's we sold had well over 100,000 on them,and a few didn't even want to turn over when we first pulled them--had to use a bar on the flexplate to get the motor to spin over!..but once we got them to turn over,they all started up and ran sweet after 10 minutes or so,after all the crud in the carb washed out..

Many of the guys who bought them just did compression tests,and if they had over 125 psi they just dropped them in and ran them..only one guy had a problem,a head gasket blew a few weeks after it was in his truck--but he beat it like a rented mule too...:p: one had sticky valves,the guy had to pull the heads and did a valve job..but for the age and mileage,they all ran amazingly well--especially for having sat around for a few years before being woken up again!..not many motors survive that..

Caddy motors are made from a higher quality metal with a lot of nickel in it..the blocks usually last a long time without needing to be bored or honed,and they have huge mains and rod bearings..if any care at all was given to the engine,its usually in decent shape..(not many poor people owned Caddy's,that couldn't afford to change the oil!)..not many rich older snobs with Caddy's beat on them very hard either!..:rolleyes:

The only thing that will kill a Caddy is high revs..they don't like spinning at 5 grand for very long,just like any other big block with a long stroke in stock form..but with 500+ ft lbs of torque at less than 2000 RPM,there is NO need to wind one out anyway!..they will fry the tires with 3.08's in a 6000lb Caddy in third gear once you get them spinning...that kind of torque is perfect for big tires and high gears..don't really need 4.56's when a Caddy 500 is up front!..:bow:

I must have watched Branndon's "burnout" video 100 times already!.:bow: --it reminds me of my days at the junkyard,when we'd take a Caddy we just resurrected and got running to see if the motor was any good,and we'd "test it out" on the 150' cement pad where the scales were--our "dragstrip!":D ...

I wish the 76 500 I have had an eldorado pan--it would have gone in my 79 C10 already if it did..but the 305 I put in it went in easier,and isn't quite as thirsty..better off with todays gas prices...maybe someday I'll put it to use..Maybe the 82 K20 if the 6.2 grenades..:crazy:

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Advantages; Big low end torque, its also lighter than BBC by like 100+ lbs. (I read somewhere). Another source (?) Maximum Torque Specialties.:D

15. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

So what years and models did the 500 or 472 come in? What all has to be done as far a motor mounts goes? what about bolting to a th400?
    Thanks,
    James

16. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

motor mounts are simple - MTS and the Cad Co. both sell swap kits. or you can fab up your own motor mounts.

if you want to use the cadillac mounts then the simplest way is with some flat 3/8 plate and some bolts. bolt the plate, to the existing crossmember, the angled part just inboard of the frame rail.

then with the engine bolted to the transmission and the tranny mount loosely bolted in. mark the plate drill and you're set. you may also need to clearance the firewall a slight bit for the driver's side head.:thumb:

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

wildcard search caddycarlo

18. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

All the rear wheel drive cads with the 472/500 used the th400. The only problem is that they use the BOP bolt pattern but there are adapters you can get for around $70 that will let you bolt up the chevy trans to the cad.

19. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Im planning to get the sm465 for my 500 cad motor!
    I really cant wait for it to be finished
    the only problem is that i havent even started the project yet
    have to get the motor on sunday :D :D cant wait!!!