Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cadillac 500 weight?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Sep 17, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

What is the weight of this motor? I just picked mine up yesterday and It seems heavy as hell. I thought someone said these weighed less than a bbc. If they did I would like to say that I disagree. But maybe alot of the weight is from this fwd t400. What a cool looking tranny? Anyone know?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

According to the web - 625lbs.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

It is my understanding that a Caddy 500 w/ an aluminum intake weighs about 50 lbs more than a SBC... or that is what I have been told anyways...

4. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    [ QUOTE ]
    It is my understanding that a Caddy 500 w/ an aluminum intake weighs about 50 lbs more than a SBC... or that is what I have been told anyways...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, correct. It's the high nickle content in the blocks that allows them a thinner casting that is still very strong.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have also read they weigh in between the weight of a small block and a big block,about 650 lbs,and your right about the Th425 transaxle being the heavy part--since it houses the tranny and the ring and pinion,its like having the rear end and tranny bolted to the motor--I have helped pull many of those caddy motor/tranny combo's out at the salvage yard(they are probably the worst one to pull,the eldorado FWD caddy's)and I'd guess just the transaxle weighs about 300 lbs,maybe more.What are your plans for the caddy motor?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

One of two plans for the motor

1. Turn in the short block as a core and get a rebuilt one from Kragen (I work there so I get a discount) Then up grade to a little better cam. Take the heads to Reno and get a 4 angle valve job, bigger valves and smooth all the chambers and runners. Aluminum intake 850 edelbrock 100 shot Nitrous. All this in front of a raptor 700r4 (please dont tell me the tranny wont last I am going to do it anyways I will learn on my own thank you. I dont mean that in any disrespect to anyone) All this connected to my clocked 241 14 bolt and 10 bolt with 4.88 OR 5.13 (havent decided yet) and 37 x 17 mtrs or boggers.

2. Rebuild to a 540 stroker, heads the same as above w/ a little porting, aluminum intake 850 edelbrock 200 shot nitrous and drivetrain staying the same.

All this will be used for prerunning, rocks, and trails. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

All opinions are welcome on anything but the tranny please thank you.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    37 x 37 mtrs or boggers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanna know where to get some phat 37" wide tires?? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

my bad 37x17

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I've never seen the 37x17's either, new size? Weren't they 37 x 12.50 or 13?

10. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

BOGGERS 37X13X17 241.99
    MTR'S 37X12.5X17 325.99

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LMAO 37" wide tires would be halarious /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok, yea I knew 17" wheel, I thought you meant 17" wide.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

1. Turn in the short block as a core and get a rebuilt one from Kragen (I work there so I get a discount) Then up grade to a little better cam. Take the heads to Reno and get a 4 angle valve job, bigger valves and smooth all the chambers and runners. Aluminum intake 850 edelbrock 100 shot Nitrous. All this in front of a raptor 700r4 (please dont tell me the tranny wont last I am going to do it anyways I will learn on my own thank you. I dont mean that in any disrespect to anyone) All this connected to my clocked 241 14 bolt and 10 bolt with 4.88 OR 5.13 (havent decided yet) and 37 x 17 mtrs or boggers.

2. Rebuild to a 540 stroker, heads the same as above w/ a little porting, aluminum intake 850 edelbrock 200 shot nitrous and drivetrain staying the same.

All this will be used for prerunning, rocks, and trails. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing wrong with a Raptor 700, I have one and dig it. Haven't had a single problem.

Anyway, a 500 is a LOT of motor, and IMO even in stock form it would blow up a front 10 bolt axle with 37" Boggers. Prolly just a matter of time. You could beefy the 10 bolt up with cool shafts and joints and stuff... but with that much motor a bigger axle like a 60 is prolly the best approach. In the long run it will probably cost less than a beefed 10 bolt plus replacing broken parts (and labor if ya don't do all of that kinda stuff yourself).

j

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, correct. It's the high nickle content in the blocks that allows them a thinner casting that is still very strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

And now you can even get aluminum heads for them. That's got to be light for 500 cubes.

15. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    nothing wrong with a Raptor 700, I have one and dig it. Haven't had a single problem.

Anyway, a 500 is a LOT of motor, and IMO even in stock form it would blow up a front 10 bolt axle with 37" Boggers. Prolly just a matter of time. You could beefy the 10 bolt up with cool shafts and joints and stuff... but with that much motor a bigger axle like a 60 is prolly the best approach. In the long run it will probably cost less than a beefed 10 bolt plus replacing broken parts (and labor if ya don't do all of that kinda stuff yourself).

j

[/ QUOTE ]

A 60 is in the works but I have a budget and at this time a 60 isnt possible. I think my 10 bolt will hold for a while. I just need it to for another 6 months and the 500 wont be in for atleast another 3 so Im sure it will work. Thanks for the tips though.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    WOW! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I think your going to need a box of adult diapers to go with that much motor--even a stock caddy 500 is enough to stain your shorts! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    As for the tranny,if its properly beefed I dont think you'll have any trouble--unless you bottom it out on a rock or something!.
    The 10 bolt front end might be a weak spot,but it all depends on how hard you punish it--I only plow snow with my trucks,so I'm no expert on rock crawling or extreme 4x4ing,but I havent broken any axle shafts or housings,and I am pretty rough on the truck in some of the blizzards we have had here--of course my 400 small block is no 500 caddy either!.I'd love to have a plow truck with the 500 in it,maybe it would not plow that great(too much tourque in snow doesnt work well)but it would be a lot of fun doing donuts with it ! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif