Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cadillac Calipers For Disc Brake Conversion On 14bff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, Aug 27, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Will 1980 Cadillac ElDorado calipers work with the disc brake conversions for the 14bff's? I have heard a few years circling around 1978 will work, but have not heard of anything up to 1980. I have a good deal with a guy and I was just wondering if they would work. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Nope they dont open far enought to accept the d44 rotor. I was just recently told that rear corvette calipers might work, some thing i've been meaning to look into.

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was just recently told that rear corvette calipers might work, some thing i've been meaning to look into.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be great if they'd fit! Here Eldos are really rare,haven't seen not one even on street.I have 14-bolt FF waiting for getting under my K5.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have a few pair of Caddy El Dorado Calipers... PM me if anyone is interested... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was just recently told that rear corvette calipers might work, some thing i've been meaning to look into.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be great if they'd fit! Here Eldos are really rare,haven't seen not one even on street.I have 14-bolt FF waiting for getting under my K5.

[/ QUOTE ]

think they would perform better too? they are from a vette... also what year vette???? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

hmmmmmm maybe ill get my coversion done soon if that is true... eldo's are non existant for me.. .unless you feel like severing an arm for the ones from some people!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Really doubt 'vette rear calipers open up enough to accept 1.25" rotors.

You don't want the early 4 piston ones, (up to '82? I think both the first Z28's and vette's used the same rear disks) as they need to be sleeved with stainless steel. Something wrong with the design, and the piston bores rust, resulting in leaks at the piston.

I think it would be easier/more productive to find thinner rotors to work with the more readily available newer stuff, whether it be 79-85 ElDo or the 80's-90's Camaro rear disks.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if i went to the parts store and got a set of rear camaro calipers (say camaro ss just in case they are better i dunno )..... do you think pepgirls sells them with the emergency brake on it already? cuz then that would be a different issue since i can get camaro parts easily from camaro parts in williamstown nj. also do you think azkickin brackets would work with them? im just throwin this out there now...

thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No I'm SURE you'd have to fab up a new bracket. They SHOULD come with the lever, but as new as these setups are, the pieces should be still available from the dealer, and fairly cheap. Used would be a better option. I paid $40 for my complete camaro calipers with e-brake from the wrecking yard.

The problems with the Camaro stuff are rotor thickness, rotor bolt pattern/axle flange size, e-brake, and mounting bracket.

Personally I think with all the effort going into the ElDo stuff, the Camaro ones could be made to work easily (at least bracket-wise). The e-brake problem is simply the same as the ElDo in regards to the way it is routed and connected...both the routing and caliper connection is different than truck drum setups, so there would have to be some adaptation there.

The rotor difference is a little more difficult. The axle flange could be turned down fairly easily (or rotors opened up) but the bolt pattern would be a major issue (limits donors to those with same 6 lug pattern) and along with the bolt pattern, is finding a 6 lug rotor close to the right diameter, with the right width. FYI, just noticed some Astro vans with 6 lug wheels, wonder what the rotor specs are on those?

I still think that if someone sat down with the right material and tools, the bracket would be easily fabbed up. The rotors, someone just needs to sit down and look at "all" likely donors, until something is found. There has to be something out there...after all, I've seen .5" thick solid rotors with a GM 6 lug bolt pattern.

The only other choice I'd attempt is just going with a newer disk brake truck rear. Save ALL this time and hassle. Or at least most of it, as the e-brake would still be different, and spring perches probably need moved. At least there is no guesswork in that.

9. How about an eight lug donor/ any suggestions/